Adding a moderator to Tx200hc

no avatar
huntersforay

Adding a moderator to Tx200hc

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:45 pm

I basically fitted my moderator the day I got my tx, I shot it a few times without, and noticed that the moderator did quieten it down a fair bit.

Have any that has fitted a moderator notice the rifle is producing flyers? I've checked the moderator and there is no sign of any pellet scuffs around the hole..

Any ideas guys?
Air arms S410k .22 Custom Shop, Don Robinson custom thumbhole
TX200HC .22 Full fettle, Rowan trigger
Ripley XL9 .22 custom

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Adding a moderator to Tx200hc

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Which moderator? Could be pellets skimming a baffle (the std AA moderator has one at mid-position). The sound dampening material in some moderators can deteriorate so you get threads protruding into the fight path.

It would be helpful to know what you classify as a flyer - is this a few isolated major deviations or a more general increase in spread, and are the flyers in the same or random direction?

Don't rule out the pellets. One thing I've found testing many pellet types & batches is you sometimes find a pellet works perfectly on some days but is "on the edge". A slight change in conditions - could be temperature or setup of the gun (incl. change of moderator) - and you don't get the same performance.

no avatar
TrevorM

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 pm

I came on to ask a similar question. With an AA Q-Tech moderator on my HC I get about a 50mm increase in pellet impact height at 20 yards. There is no other deviation and it is a constant increase.

Is this unusual or normal?

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:36 pm

The qtec silencer has offset key-hole shaped holes in the baffles so the asymmetric air flow could be shifting the POI. Mine is on a S510 so I haven't compared with/without. Also a change in the balance of the rifle might be affecting the behaviour under recoil, but I'd be surprised if it were that much. Could be a combination of the two, perhaps? As long as any shift is constant and there is no contact with the pellets I wouldn't worry.

no avatar
Trooper

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am

I use the bog standard AA silencer for S510, TX200. Works a treat and no effect on accuracy.

I have heard that the Q Tech silencer is not worth the money, but if I was going to spend that much I would probably go for a Huggett.