Springers and sticks

no avatar
RonnieD

Springers and sticks

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 am

I am a newbie shooter. This past weekend I participated in my first field target match. It was snowing and windy and I did terrible. (6 for 40 with 22 faceplate hits). The guys I was with beat me by a few shots each but they were using sticks with their springers. I thought that was a no no, but today I went out and spent 40 dollars on a pair of sticks. I got home and tried them out. Much to my surprise my tx200 mk3 made a 5 shot dime size bullseye at 20 yds on my first try. Why is using sticks with springers frowned upon? I can’t wait for the next match. I feel like it’s cheating it is so accurate. Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone else thinking about putting your gun on some sticks

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Springers and sticks

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 am

I'm guessing you shoot under USA FT rules. I don't think even springer class FT would allow sticks over here. The whole point is to use only the body as support. All the FT photos with sticks and little wood chairs seem to be American.

no avatar
RonnieD

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 pm

I am indeed American. For the match I sat on the ground using no aids. However, now that I have tried it, the bucket and sticks seem much easier for a 60 year old newcomer to the sport. I will continue to practice while sitting on the ground, but I don’t see much future in it for me.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Shoot to the rules you compete in otherwise your fellow competitors will have an advantage. If you shoot in the US to those rules, you really should use the sticks.