Spring vs. pcp

no avatar
FPoole

Spring vs. pcp

Fri May 26, 2017 12:06 am

Last weekend or the one before, a TX200 tied the top score at a match with many top U.S. shooters. This was a fairly well attended match and included WFTF pcp guns as well as 20 ft. lb. pcp's. Brad Troyer campaigned a 97 for years, but has started shooting this TX and has been shooting some very good scores. He shot a 95/104 and I know it's the Indian and not the arrow, but that is still some fine piston shooting.

pjgtech

Re: Spring vs. pcp

Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 pm

I think springers quite often do well in competitions against pcp's, they say learn to shoot with a springer which will teach you the basics.... 8-)
pjgtech: BASC: SMK S2 Pistol .177
Air Arms ProSport .177 (Tuned):
Air Arms S410 TDR .177:
Kral NP-02 .177:
Umarex Colt 1911 . 177:
Weihrauch HW 97KT. 22:(Tuned):
Weihrauch HW40 .177

Raj

Fri May 26, 2017 10:06 pm

FPoole wrote:Last weekend or the one before, a TX200 tied the top score at a match with many top U.S. shooters. This was a fairly well attended match and included WFTF pcp guns as well as 20 ft. lb. pcp's. Brad Troyer campaigned a 97 for years, but has started shooting this TX and has been shooting some very good scores. He shot a 95/104 and I know it's the Indian and not the arrow, but that is still some fine piston shooting.

I'm making that my strap line ... Thanks, Fred :)
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Blackbaronfish

Sat May 27, 2017 8:04 am

Yes but the arrow needs to be strait and not bent :lol: :lol: :lol:
In general that is :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Nick G

Tue May 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Most say, "if you can shoot a springer well you can shoot anything", very good for perfecting trigger control I find .

Sake-san

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Personally I prefer both the arrow and the Indian to be straight (you know where you can safely stand!!!)
The world of springer tuning is a most complex masala....
After investing more time and money than I care to recount I would recommend Nick G's short stroke ally piston approach, have yet to meet any serious user not completely satisfied ;)
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Pianoman

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm

It really is an enduring myth that a pcp rifle is more accurate than a springer. One espoused by PCP shooters who haven't yet learned to appreciate the value of learning to shoot correctly as only a well tempered spring rifle can show them. Of course, it depends on the quality of the spring rifle and the precise pellet, as much as the skills of the shooter. A perfect one-hole group of ten shots at 35 metres is well within the capable bounds of a TX200, TX200HC, Pro Sport, HW97K, HW77 and HW80. .177 or .22 in the hands of those who've taken the patience to learn, practice and apply the principals of marksmanship.

You cannot argue with precision accuracy like that.

no avatar
wastrel

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Pianoman wrote:It really is an enduring myth that a pcp rifle is more accurate than a springer. One espoused by PCP shooters who haven't yet learned to appreciate the value of learning to shoot correctly as only a well tempered spring rifle can show them. Of course, it depends on the quality of the spring rifle and the precise pellet, as much as the skills of the shooter. A perfect one-hole group of ten shots at 35 metres is well within the capable bounds of a TX200, TX200HC, Pro Sport, HW97K, HW77 and HW80. .177 or .22 in the hands of those who've taken the patience to learn, practice and apply the principals of marksmanship.

this maybe true (I`d take issue myself- scoring my first ever pellet through previous hole, firing less than 50 pellets of my first PCP rifle experience, but I`ll bow to pianomans opinion/experience) so the springer MAY be as accurate (I wish I could hand you my old Airsporter & watch you argue this!) my LGU is a match for my S200 that is for sure, but the Walther is a .177 & my 200 is .22, my point is, I reckon a .177 PCP would wipe the floor with a Springer in all but the most experienced hands, THAT is why PCP`s dominate the market, now, you may think that is a cop out on the part of the marksmanship of shooters (& you may well have a point) but the reality is, I bet you Mr Troyer used a telescopic sight! & the reality is marksmen will learn much much more about the craft of shooting with open sights, human nature will ALWAYS take the easy route-fact- choose your poison Mr Pianoman, choose your poison! IMO!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Pianoman wrote: A perfect one-hole group of ten shots at 35 metres is well within the capable bounds of a TX200, TX200HC, Pro Sport, HW97K, HW77 and HW80. .177 or .22 in the hands of those who've taken the patience to learn, practice and apply the principals of marksmanship.

I can argue with it. if you clamped a pcp to a concrete block in an aircraft hangar you couldnt get 10 in 1 at 35 m.
As for a springer it would be unwise to do anything but shoulder it.

1 inch group I can believe in both cases.

no avatar
wastrel

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:26 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Pianoman wrote: A perfect one-hole group of ten shots at 35 metres is well within the capable bounds of a TX200, TX200HC, Pro Sport, HW97K, HW77 and HW80. .177 or .22 in the hands of those who've taken the patience to learn, practice and apply the principals of marksmanship.

I can argue with it. if you clamped a pcp to a concrete block in an aircraft hangar you couldnt get 10 in 1 at 35 m.
As for a springer it would be unwise to do anything but shoulder it.

1 inch group I can believe in both cases.

Peter you have seriously lost me with that post, even Sake San who Baffles me (on purpose- the swine!) hasn`t left me this baffled with a post
10 in 1 (shot`s in 1" @ 35m I presume) most of AAOC could manage that on their worst day!
& the next, HELP :?:
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member