Spring vs. pcp

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Spring vs. pcp

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm

pianoman said 10 shots in one perfect hole at 35 meters.
I could believe a ragged half inch group shot out into a big hole is quite possible. And more likely with PCP.
Maybe its my understanding of a" single perfect hole" ie pellet sized hole.
I have had two olympic quality PCP weapons that are provided with a test card, shot clamped to a testbed at 10 metres and they are a single but oversized hole. not perfect.

no avatar
wastrel

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:pianoman said 10 shots in one perfect hole at 35 meters.
I could believe a ragged half inch group shot out into a big hole is quite possible. And more likely with PCP.
Maybe its my understanding of a" single perfect hole" ie pellet sized hole.
I have had two olympic quality PCP weapons that are provided with a test card, shot clamped to a testbed at 10 metres and they are a single but oversized hole. not perfect.

right, with you now, thanks for clearing that up!
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Sake-san

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Well yes, it clears up the point of comprehension in question but, not the gratuitous offence to my good person and from a fellow Scot be damned!!!!
One reaches out to the veritable and all knowing gentlemen of Moderation whom are charged with the correct policing of this place of kindly exchange.... "a swine" no less!
I shall have you know it has been nigh on 30 years since such insolence has been bestowed upon my person (allbeit then most certainly deserved and taken upon the chin from two rather irate ladies of Italian origin !!!!)
One rather fancies that an apology might just be in order, or was the good gentlemen simply looking for "decking" (I still chuckle at that joke of his today!)
A very good weekend to you all
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
wastrel

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:09 pm

I rest my case
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
FPoole

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 pm

I do think that both pcp and springer barrels are of the same quality, so they both should be capable of the same accuracy. It's just a lot harder to produce consistent results with a springer. I have saved a piece of target paper from time to time with 5 shots about the size of a .22, that were shot with my TX's, at 25 m, off the knee, from a seated position. I also have done this from 55 yards with the group measuring under .5" to the outer edges. I once had a 55 yard group that was .25" side to side and .438" top to bottom. This only proves, to me, that my TX200's have what it takes if I'm up to the task. A friend handed me his Pro Target while I was on the sight in lane and asked me to give it 5 to 10 warm up shots. It is a lefty gun and fit me well, but after the first 5 shots from 30 yards, I had a small ragged hole. I gave him back his devil possessed pcp before I became a slave to it's deadness. ;)

no avatar
wastrel

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 am

Sake-san wrote:Well yes, it clears up the point of comprehension in question but, not the gratuitous offence to my good person and from a fellow Scot be damned!!!!
One reaches out to the veritable and all knowing gentlemen of Moderation whom are charged with the correct policing of this place of kindly exchange.... "a swine" no less!
I shall have you know it has been nigh on 30 years since such insolence has been bestowed upon my person (allbeit then most certainly deserved and taken upon the chin from two rather irate ladies of Italian origin !!!!)
One rather fancies that an apology might just be in order, or was the good gentlemen simply looking for "decking" (I still chuckle at that joke of his today!)
A very good weekend to you all

`twas but a throw away remark, be dammed if it wasn`t a bloody boomerang & I didn`t notice, but still, an apology is offered if one is required, erm, Sir Sake (jeeez, see what I mean?)
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Sake-san

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Och, dinnae fash yersel, just a wee bit o banter ;)
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Pianoman

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:49 am

Sorry chaps I think something I wrote has been taken a bit too literally. By a single hole pellet group, I mean to say, of course it will be a little ragged round the edges due to a little deviation on the part of the shooter; but the pellets are still on top of one another scrunched into a little ball of lead at 35 metres and that's pretty good shooting in anyone's book.. But the main thing I'm trying to say is, neither action is really that more accurate than another. I have a beautiful Daystate Regal .177 PCP that has been regulated to produce 11.6 ft/lbs performance and match it against my .177 HW97K. Both can produce groups to a single hole better than a clover leaf's breadth at 35 metres. I have my HW80 .22 on ticket and I'm never less than delighted with how tightly this groups, despite being a heavy recoiling rifle. Both PCP and spring guns are superbly accurate shooting devices. It's us, the shooter, that determines how well that accuracy is produced from excellent kit to start with.
Last edited by Pianoman on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
pelletcaster

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Pianoman,

how about some pictures of your 35m-groupings and information about which and how scopes used?! ;)
Live is a journey - not a destination.
-----------------------------------------
AA TX200 HC / LGU Master / LGV-CU / HW35 / HW50s (1974) / HW50S (2015) / HW90 / DIANA 34 T01
DS MK4iS-S / SPA P-12 / CZ200S-Green

no avatar
Pianoman

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I'll try pelletcaster I'm not exactly a wizz with computers and uploadingposting pics. You'd be welcome to visit me at my home in Lincolnshire where I have a large garden and a clear 35-metre zeroing range. I would gladly demonstrate for you. But for years out of memory now, my pre-hunting-trip zero sessions are entirely devoted to focusing on zeroing on pellet holes shot into white MDF hardboard. Make a hole with first shot. then zero in on that till the others are crack-on the first hole!

For low light resolution, I like to shoot on a scope-setting of 7 x magnification power.

(Does anyone else find shooting at paper targets difficult to get an absolutely precise zero fix on their bulls-eye centres?)

I always shoot from a comfortable prone position. I zero my .22 rifles at 30 metres for hunting. My .177 rifles at 35 metres. My rifles/scopes/pellet current combinations are.

AIR ARMS PRO SPORT. .22......BUSHNELL 6-24X40MM SCOPE....................... JSB JUMBO HEAVY 18G 5.52mm PELLET.
WEIHRAUCH HW80 .22 FAC.....NIKON FIELDMASTER 6-18X40MM SF SCOPE....... H&N FIELD TARGET TROPHY 5.53mm PELLET
WHEIHRAUCH HW77 .22........ BUSHNELL SCOPECHIEF 4-14X50MM SCOPE........H&N FTT 5.53mm PELLET.
WEIHRAUCH HW97K .177....... HAWKE PANORAMA 4-12X40mm SCOPE............H&N FTT 4.50mm PELLET
DAYSTATE REGAL .177.......... HAWKE SIDEWINDER 3-12X44 SCOPE...............JSB JUMBO HEAVY 4.51mm PELLET.

In my younger days I could get a tight group at 50 metres but, my eyesight and hold is not as solid as once it was. 35 metres is still a decent range to get a precise and accurate goup with either calibre.

Best regards.
Simon/Pianoman