S200 Tuning question.

no avatar
Pauly5

S200 Tuning question.

Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:36 am

I have an S200 with the 2 piece stock. It's .177 and I am looking to install a regulator in it. I would like to run it under 12 ft/lb. I am in NZ and going over that isn't an issue, but I want it sub 12 .

Currently I can't get it over 10.5/11 ft/lb. I have the venturi screw out and hammer in as far as it will go before it won't cock. I filled the tank to about 200 bar and shot about 20 to 30 shots, it started around 8 ft/lb then slowly increased to 10 after about 20 - 30 shots. I was using 8.64 grn H&N.

Is there something else that can restrict these that I can change to bring the power up that little bit more? I believe around 13 ft/lb is the max output for these lovely guns.

Raj

Re: S200 Tuning question.

Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:43 pm

Hi Paul
Think I cam across you on FB.
If you are sticking with the same hammer spring, you could ease off the vale spring a bit ... say 1 turn.

In the S200, the amount of air that is let out of the cylinder is governed by 3 things :
1. How hard the hammer hits the valve (hammer spring)
2. How tightly the valve remains shut (valve spring)
3. How much you restrict the air released by the valve (conical venturi screw in the transfer port)

There is one other factor - How much pressure the air in the tank is putting on the valve to keep it shut. Because less air makes it easier for the hammer to strike the valve open and vice versa.

In an ideal set up, the power you want the rifle to put out is decided by the valve and hammer spring with the venturi screw almost restricting very little but still doing a tiny bit. For example, I typically set it to 11.7 ft.lbs using the springs and bring it down to 11.6 with the venturi. The numbers start to make more sense if the rifle is regulated of course. And dont forget, even if the venturi screw is not restricting at all, you still need it in there to prevent loss of air through that threaded hole which opens straight into the transfer port. Having this open completely will also cause loss of power.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"