Ultimate Sporter R Low Power

no avatar
PhpShooter

Ultimate Sporter R Low Power

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:15 pm

Hi Everyone,.
Spoke to the guy from technical today on the Phone, my new Ultimate is only making 10.3 ftlbs over my FX Chrono with weighed pellets I've seen it do 9.9.

I am extremely technical, and engineer in several disciplines.

The gun is accurate consistent but low, I've got a lot of shooting to do and time off to shoot, but despite is consistent the lack of velocity shows in wind sensitivity and pellet drop more than any gun including springers that I own.

It's regulated, how complex is bring the power up?

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Ultimate Sporter R Low Power

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:35 pm

If the gun was originally producing higher power it probably isn't as simple as needing a single adjustment. First check there are no leaks from the breech seal or the transfer port. You should be able to feel a puff of air when fired or, if the leak is small, detect it with talcum powder or shaving foam.

If there are no leaks, the first thing I'd suggest is you chrono a full string so you can see exactly what is happening - if it's the reg not functioning correctly or if it's working but the overall power level is low. Take the cylinder pressure down to the point where the MV is 20% below peak so you have a clear plot of the MV after the gun has come off reg.

Keep a record of the pressure every 10 shots so you can plot MV against cylinder pressure as well as shot count. Given that the in-built pressure gauges are imprecise and usually quite inaccurate you may need to calibrate it vs your bottle/pump gauge.

If you want to take a short cut, fill the cylinder in 5 or 10bar steps and take 3-5 shots at each step. Then you can take pressures directly from the bottle/pump gauge. It's still preferable to run a continuous string over the range where the gun comes off reg.

When you have the data, post it on here for further comments/advice.

no avatar
PhpShooter

Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:35 pm

tonyc wrote:
If the gun was originally producing higher power it probably isn't as simple as needing a single adjustment. First check there are no leaks from the breech seal or the transfer port. You should be able to feel a puff of air when fired or, if the leak is small, detect it with talcum powder or shaving foam.

If there are no leaks, the first thing I'd suggest is you chrono a full string so you can see exactly what is happening - if it's the reg not functioning correctly or if it's working but the overall power level is low. Take the cylinder pressure down to the point where the MV is 20% below peak so you have a clear plot of the MV after the gun has come off reg.

Keep a record of the pressure every 10 shots so you can plot MV against cylinder pressure as well as shot count. Given that the in-built pressure gauges are imprecise and usually quite inaccurate you may need to calibrate it vs your bottle/pump gauge.

If you want to take a short cut, fill the cylinder in 5 or 10bar steps and take 3-5 shots at each step. Then you can take pressures directly from the bottle/pump gauge. It's still preferable to run a continuous string over the range where the gun comes off reg.

Thanks Tony I have some range time booked to shoot endless pellets. In this manner..

It's brand new, how easy is it to adjust the reg?

Assuming its just turned down a little and nothing is leaking breach seal wise.

no avatar
PhpShooter

Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:06 pm

Thanks Tony I'll do that.

How possible / pheasible is it for me to adjust the power?

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:08 pm

You said this Rifle is brand new, so why don't you return it to the shop you bought it from, let them get it sorted, if you start fiddling with it, you will void the 3 year warranty,
You spoke to a technician at A/A and he advised you to do what exactly?
Trust me, I'm the first one to pull a rifle apart if it's needed, and have done many that were still under warranty
But a brand new reg'd one would be going back to the shop, but it's your call.

no avatar
PhpShooter

Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:43 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:08 pm
You said this Rifle is brand new, so why don't you return it to the shop you bought it from, let them get it sorted, if you start fiddling with it, you will void the 3 year warranty,
You spoke to a technician at A/A and he advised you to do what exactly?
Trust me, I'm the first one to pull a rifle apart if it's needed, and have done many that were still under warranty
But a brand new reg'd one would be going back to the shop, but it's your call.
He advised me to do what exactly?

Do you know how these items are adjusted or..... Are you intent on being rude?

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:34 am

Not wanting to be rude, apologies if I came across like that, would just be interested in what A/A tech advised, l can't imagine he advised you to start taking it apart, and as its new, would have thought he would have said to return to the shop you bought it from, as I said, once you start stripping it yourself, any warranty would be void, if this had been an unregulated rifle, I would have had it in bits by now, but being reg'd, I would return it to the dealer. Rog

no avatar
PhpShooter

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:10 am

Roger5 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:34 am
Not wanting to be rude, apologies if I came across like that, would just be interested in what A/A tech advised, l can't imagine he advised you to start taking it apart, and as its new, would have thought he would have said to return to the shop you bought it from, as I said, once you start stripping it yourself, any warranty would be void, if this had been an unregulated rifle, I would have had it in bits by now, but being reg'd, I would return it to the dealer. Rog
No problems

No he advised me to get it back to them.
I just want to know what I'm looking at. I am an engineer, I've rebuilt the most exquisite highly tuned engines and been around machines my whole life. Its nine after all, I was hoping I could get some description as to whether it's possible to tune the power up easily or not.

Warranty not with standing

no avatar
PhpShooter

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:38 pm

tonyc wrote:

This is a fill of 220 bar straight off the fill.
Seemed little point in showing it coming off the reg, when it was already all over the place.

17/02/2022 14:23:44,10.3
17/02/2022 14:24:05,9.8
17/02/2022 14:24:16,9.3
17/02/2022 14:24:38,10.2
17/02/2022 14:26:34,10.3
17/02/2022 14:26:45,9.7
17/02/2022 14:27:14,10.3
17/02/2022 14:27:23,10.5
17/02/2022 14:27:35,9.3
17/02/2022 14:27:44,9.5
17/02/2022 14:27:50,10.5
17/02/2022 14:27:57,10.2
17/02/2022 14:29:47,10.2
17/02/2022 14:29:56,10.2
17/02/2022 14:30:06,10.2
17/02/2022 14:30:18,10.2
17/02/2022 14:31:21,9.9

no avatar
tonyc

Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:18 pm

I agree with Roger5, send it back.
There is a point in putting a full string over the chrono. At present you have no idea what the problem is. Why would you assume it's the reg?
I'd need to see how it's performing off reg to establish if the variation is independent of regulation.
I'd also want to know what pellets you are using and the MV rather than ME.
When you have a full string, if you know how to interpret it, you will know what needs to be adjusted. You don't adjust power on the reg and you won't eliminate the variations by adjusting the reg either.
Send it back to Aa with the full string data so they can sort it out. Personally I'd never return a gun without first doing the testing and discussing the results and solution.

Are you sure it's not the chrono? I'm not a fan of FX chronos so I'd be looking to confirm those results. If you can't get another chrono to check the results, the variations are large enough to see POI shifts at med-long range.