Removing the filler on a S4xx tube

Gnome of the Woods

Removing the filler on a S4xx tube

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Anybody have a smart way to remove the filler assembly without a special tool?
From memory I used long nosed pliers before but it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away!
Artist formally know as Gnome of the Woods

Blackbaronfish

Re: Removing the filler on a S4xx tube

Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:40 pm

Circlip pliers work well
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Phil Russell

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:11 am

Maybe a little late but it is not too difficult to make your own tool to hold the cylinder while you undo the filler ... 10mm spanner if the T bar type.
I have known people clamp the end of the tube in thick leather but this does not always work. The tool with prongs to hold the cylinder is made as: I used 4mm thick aluminium bar 30mm wide x about 8 inches long. Cut a 20mm hole in the end and drill two 3mm holes opposite each other on a 25mm diameter across the hole. Add 3mm pins to the holes. The tool fits over the filler to hold the cylinder while you use the 10mm spanner to undo the filler.
I think you can also buy the pronged tool quite cheaply.
Yes you can use pliers but take care ... my very first go at doing so many years ago resulted in the pliers slipping and me scratching the end of the cylinder plug.
Cheers, Phil

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:37 am

S400 cylinder filler nut tool £14.95 from Robert Lane, handy if you do a few, as said saves scratching anything