HFT 500 disassembly

no avatar
AllenCorneau

HFT 500 disassembly

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:36 pm

Howdy folks,

For the life of me I can't figure out how to disassemble the HFT 500, specifically removing the striker body from the rest of the components. I also can't seem to get the trigger group off the striker body but I'm guessing there is another screw holding it on from the inside which I will find once I get the striker body off!

I've unscrewed the two screws near the end on either side of the trigger group as well as the end-cap screw. It rocks a little but won't come free. What am I missing? I've searched for forum posts, YouTube videos, etc., but no luck.

I'm the second owner of this rifle and have no idea if the internals (striker, striker rod, etc.) have been cleaned up or not. I've already sorted out the trigger (for the most part) but need to get a new trigger post/body as mine has a lot of lateral slop around the pivot pin. I'll eventually fix that too, but that's an easy one.

My end goal is I'd like to get this thing tuned up so I can run heavy pellets (AA 10.3's) around 850 fps or so. (I'm over here in the States so I don't have the same 12 ft/lb. limit as you folks do in the UK.) Right now the peak of the power curve is about 770 fps (starting around 730). If I increase the power at the adjustment screw I exaggerate the power curve even more. I would be happy if I can get a smoother power curve running at the desired FPS while sacrificing ultimate shot count. (I shoot metallic silhouette so I only need 40-60 good shots.)

Any advice on getting this thing apart would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

no avatar
AllenCorneau

Re: HFT 500 disassembly

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm

Well, since I posted this yesterday I discovered a video for the s510 that showed me what I was missing... the four screws in front of the trigger!

Glad to say the striker rod and striker looked good. I did hit the striker rod with some 1500 grit sandpaper to polish it up a bit more and did some judicious lubing while I was there.

If anyone has further advice on tuning this thing I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.