Trigger with an attitude ?

no avatar
Hawk-i

Trigger with an attitude ?

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Hi all,
New here ..but not new to airguns and PCP. My other keepsake airgun is a DAYSTATE Huntsman Regal xl .25 cal FAC. Just got my hands on the S5100xs Carbine w/walnut stock, Regulated in .22cal, FAC. This a Gorgeous rifle. BUT...as there's always a 'but' to deal with when it comes to a 'new' airgun. I have a 'newbie' concerns with this AA rifle,
I'm wondering if it is really 'normal' for an AA airgun to have a 'gritty' trigger ? What I mean is...I can feel like the trigger is rubbing on sand paper. :o Not a smooth take-up travel. Very annoying and unpleasant with an airgun of this stature. :roll:
Welcome any comments or analysis from existing 'longtime ' users. Thanks.
Hawk-i

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Trigger with an attitude ?

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 am

No it's not normal, but very easy to strip out and degrease, and I wouldn't lube it when you put back together
I've got a few S400s and S410s none of them are gritty. Rog

no avatar
tonyc

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:50 pm

I agree with Rog. In addition, I wonder if it's the spring to return the trigger blade. This is a poor design - an afterthought - and may be distorting when compressed. I've replaced all my AA trigger blades and done away with the spring... Rowan adjustables mostly.

no avatar
Hawk-i

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:16 am

Thank you Tony and Roger for your input, gents.
I will go about opening the Trigger block cover plate and inspect. If I do find an excessive amount of grease along the Sear faces...it will be removed. Otherwise I'll see about the spring as being the possible culprit.
I am familiar with Rowan Eng products...I have a set-back brass trigger blade on a Weihrauch HW77 SE with the Forest Green laminate stock.
Sort of disappointed in AA for this issue. Strange that my S510 went through QC with a gritty trigger :roll:

Blackbaronfish

Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:21 am

The rifles can end up in some shops for a long period of time and will be protected by the grease. Not everyone will notice a gritty trigger and that leads to further polishing.
Rowan Engineering triggers are without doubt fantastic but you will still need to open her up and checkout the sears.
To be honest I strip and relube most things I buy.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
143granville

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:05 pm

got to be worth stirp and re lube .

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi folks just to let you know I put these two trigger videos back on YouTube.

Also that the arthritis that was making me so grumpy finally put an end to my shooting. It was getting too much by 2020 then indoor shooting got locked down for months and I made the decision. I sold my beloved rifle, Jacket, pellets, glove, box, the whole lot!

I probably would not spray with lube any more but it may help for new folk to Air Arms to see inside

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MxKijBehH44

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQkNT3Z3-w&t=1s

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Sorry too hear that Pete, but hang around you have years of knowledge members can tap into.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Hawk-i

Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:46 am

Hi folks just to let you know I put these two trigger videos back on YouTube.

Also that the arthritis that was making me so grumpy finally put an end to my shooting. It was getting too much by 2020 then indoor shooting got locked down for months and I made the decision. I sold my beloved rifle, Jacket, pellets, glove, box, the whole lot!

I probably would not spray with lube any more but it may help for new folk to Air Arms to see inside

Thank you TenMeterPeter for the video links. Brought some assurance towards going-in myself to do the Degreassing and Lubing with Napiers. I suspect Ballistoil will suffice since Napiers is no longer available in Canada. Very much appreciate your knowledge and input.
Hawk-i