Trigger reset to Factory spec

no avatar
D_H_P

Trigger reset to Factory spec

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm

In the past there was a Utube video on resetting air arms triggers to factory spec, I think it was "TenMetrePeter" on this forum. Is it still available? My link to it on Utube doesent work, and I can find reference to it here, but not a link. Might be me being a muppet, but any help would be appreciated.

Dave

gdavison

Re: Trigger reset to Factory spec

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Pete moved all his videos to Vimeo
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
Roger5

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Easy enough to sort, take the trigger cover plate off, then push the top sear up, this cocks the trigger, back out the second stage screw, then turn first stage in until it fires then back out a bit, push top sear up again and adjust 2nd stage in until it fires then back that out a bit, having cover plate off let's you see how it all works. Rog

no avatar
D_H_P

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:08 am

Thank you.

no avatar
tonyc

Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 pm
Easy enough to sort, take the trigger cover plate off, then push the top sear up, this cocks the trigger, back out the second stage screw, then turn first stage in until it fires then back out a bit, push top sear up again and adjust 2nd stage in until it fires then back that out a bit, having cover plate off let's you see how it all works. Rog
Rog, I saw this a couple of days ago and didn't think it was good advice... should have said something at the time.
I know you know how to set the trigger so I think it's just the explanation is missing something, or perhaps I am.

First step is to wind the rear screw out so it doesn't come into play... agreed. Then if you hold the trigger in the forward position and wind in the front screw the gun will fire at the front end of trigger travel. Wind it out a fraction and you will have virtually no sear engagement, so unsafe. The TMP approach was the opposite. Wind the front screw out so the gun won't fire at all. Then wind the front screw in while the trigger is held in the rearward position so it just fires, then back out a bit, just enough so it won't fire on the first stage. Then bring the second stage into play. Whilst I agree anyone unfamiliar with the trigger should take the side plate off to see how it works, the final adjustment needs to be done with the side plate back on and the pivots fully supported.

Personally I don't like TMP's setup; I prefer a shorter 1st stage travel as I believe you do (your US setting was perfect). So I'll wind the first stage in until the gun fires at my preferred trigger position with a maximum of 5-6mm travel. Getting this safe requires two precautions: check the trigger is rearward enough so the sears fully re-engage when the trigger is released; if the sear engagement isn't sufficient the trigger release has to be moved rearwards and the trigger travel reduced by removing the trigger weight spring and adjusting the forward trigger stop.

I hope this has removed any ambiguity from Rog's explanation. And if you think I've misinterpreted it, Rog, or am plain wrong, you will no doubt let me know! :)

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi Tony, lm going to have to stick with what I've said regarding 1st and 2nd stage adjustment, I've probably over simplified a little i.e. The weight of pull spring, this has quite an affect on the final adjustment , if it's not set correctly the first stage can trip the trigger. Easy to check, cock the gun, and back out the trigger weight screw, it will fire!
And re removing cover plate, certainly makes the job easier i.e. Pushing top sear up saves keep cocking the rifle.
I've done 3 trigger strips this morning, all S410s, one is an old one, with the o-rings on the pins above the sears, not quite as simple as the later ones, top sear not as easy to get out, have to take rear screw out of chassis to gain clearance, all back together now, and working ok, cheers mate. Rog

no avatar
tonyc

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:05 pm

At some point I'll check it out but, having just looked at a photo of the trigger with side plate removed, I'm convinced there is only minimal sear engagement. That seems to be borne out by you saying it will fire if the trigger weight is reduced. Anyway, it's not the way I would do it and I'm sure it's not TMP's way either.

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Not much I can add to that, that's the way I set them, they all get a bump test, and if I thought there was a problem, I would maybe look at doing them differently, but up to now I've not had any problems, and as far as I'm aware, nobody who has let me sort their triggers or rifles for that matter, have complained either, so I will carry on doing them as I do now, but thanks for the input. Cheers . Rog

Blackbaronfish

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 am

Well it’s great to see a discussion taking place with two different approaches. We can all agree to disagree in the end.
This is why our forum is still here.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:38 am

Roger5 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm
Not much I can add to that, that's the way I set them, they all get a bump test, and if I thought there was a problem, I would maybe look at doing them differently, but up to now I've not had any problems...
Just to be clear Rog, are you setting later triggers, the ones with the return spring behind, in the same way?