ProSport Shroud: Necessary?

no avatar
tmh2111

ProSport Shroud: Necessary?

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi All,
I'm new to air rifling. I have a newly acquired .177 ProSport, which I love. However, in the USA, depending on the state you live in, there are restrictions where silencers/moderators and shrouds are concerned. I am moving to a state where neither shrouds nor moderators are permitted. Let's just say even the suggestion of one, regardless of its actually function, could land you into complications with officials that you don't even want to have. It's just not worth it.

Rather than selling the gun, I was wondering if the shroud on the pro-sport is necessary for its function where accuracy is concerned, or any other function (not like the TX200 where it is used to support the cocking lever bracket, for example). Is it feasible to, for example, to shorten the shroud up to the edge of the stock, re-install the centering spacer, and let the rest of the barrel blow in the wind? I'm not concerned about noise.

no avatar
JOHNL57

Re: ProSport Shroud: Necessary?

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:27 pm

I live in the US as well-the current interpretation of shrouds and moderators in the US seems to hinge on intent of use and whether it could be used on a firearm. I haven't looked at the Prosport schematics but I rather doubt the shroud could be used to quiet a firearm. I am no lawyer and am not familiar with the statutes in the state you're moving to. Have you researched the laws in that state concerning airguns? You might also see if one of the big retailers like Pyramid will ship a Prosport to your new state-that might answer your question as to whether it's legal or not-I would think the big retailers are aware of the restrictions.