S410 clipping issues

no avatar
Jammy13

Re: S410 clipping issues

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 pm

John,
a thought I have, use a drill bit of the correct size and slide it through the moderator. This will check that there are no damaged baffles inside the moderator. It should slide through without any resistance.

Keith

no avatar
JOHNL57

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi, Keith,
The moderator comes apart-the longer forward piece has baffles which are easily removed. There is also what looks like a baffled insert in the rear part of the moderator that appears to be attached to the inside of the shroud. Sadly I don't have a way to post any pics. When I shot the gun with the forward baffles removed it still clipped badly so it would seem the problem is either the barrel bushing which centers the muzzle in the shroud or a bend in the shroud where the moderator attaches. When I spin the shroud it doesn't seem to wobble. Once I separate the moderator and shroud I may know more.

Blackbaronfish

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Sounds like the baffles are broken in the shroud. They are loctited in. You can buy the baffles to replace.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
JOHNL57

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Sounds simple, except I have yet to see a diagram of the model with the narrow shroud and screw on moderator. Would you happen to have the part number? With the number I could most likely see an image of the part. The piece I refer to is inside the shroud, black plastic, and has several baffles molded into the part. I don't see anything broken when I look into the shroud. I have taken the baffles out of the forward part of the mod and they look fine.

no avatar
Jammy13

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:06 pm

John,
if you copy the link below you may find a similar air rifle to yours.

Https://www.pyramydair.com/manuals

I'm beginning to think someone has fitted a non standard Air Arms moderator that has a different method of fitting to the shroud so have fitted the plastic part into the shroud to accommodate it. It sounds like a bodge to me. Air Arms don't use a grub screw to secure parts into a shroud.

If it were my rifle I would remove that plastic piece and return it to the way it was made.

Is it possible someone fitted a shroud to your non shrouded s410 FAC Extra? I cannot find any images of the rifle you describe. Any images I have found don't have shroud sizes listed.

It appears Air Arms fitted shrouds using the same method on s410 FAC and s510 FAC rifles so any manuals relating to those rifles will give you an idea of the way it should be.

I've not come across any internal parts in an Air Arms shroud that were glued into place. All the shrouds I've worked on have internals that are push out towards the breech. Though I could be wrong!

Are you able to contact the previous owner to try and find out if the know anything?

Keith

no avatar
Roger5

Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:58 pm

no avatar
JOHNL57

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:00 pm

Hi, All,
I believe I have it sorted out! After looking into the shroud carefully I could see a bushing that centers the muzzle in the shroud. I got to thinking it might have slid off the end of barrel in transit. I took the rear brass bushing out of the breech end of the shroud so I could slide the forward bushing out the rear of the shroud. That way I could leave the mod in place (looked like a pain to remove it) and slide the forward spacer out the rear of the shroud. I put it back together with the spacer in place on the muzzle-and success! I shot a few groups and it's one holing at twenty yards in light winds. Now to get her dialed in! It's 97 degrees today so I'll wait till evening to mess with it more. :D
I'll try and post some pics of the moderator-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uExQFs7kfWBEZCo28
Here's a of the baffles in the shroud-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s45VuhR8dSNpaZfJ9
Many thanks to Julian and all who replied to my query, Look me up if you visit California-I'll stand you to a cold adult beverage!
Meanwhile, any suggestions on pellet preferences? I may try and downtune to <20ft. lbs. for Hunter Field Target.