Air stripper

no avatar
Rich s410

Air stripper

Sun May 10, 2020 12:41 pm

So I've just been having a look at the rowan engineering website and came across an air stripper. Not knowing what they do I had a little Google to find out. So I know they are meant to improve accuracy but does the s410 benefit in any way from fitting these? Can they be used with silencers as well?

Thanks!

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Air stripper

Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 pm

my sport is FT. they are rampant in this field of the sport. IMHO of no use whatsoever. you will get a few replies saying they are the best thing since the last best thing. to me they are just bling. any accuracy change is more than likely down to moving mass around on the barrel, an expensive barrel weight. they are supposed to strip turbulent air from around the pellet by diverting the air through ports on the side. i would bet if anyone got the best accuracy from their rifle using one, then taped up the ports there would little to no difference. they make the rifle louder, and no you can't use a silencer with them. if you were asking me, i would say save your money, buy pellets and practice. the only time i have had one, is the std one which was on my EV2.

no avatar
Rich s410

Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 am

Thanks!

no avatar
Archer50

Thu May 14, 2020 7:16 am

I have thoroughly tested several different types of air stripper, including Rowan, on my AA guns, Steyrs and HW100. I have come to the conclusion that, as Gary said, on these guns at least, any improvement in grouping is probably due to adding weight to the barrel - and personally I didn’t find any clear improvement anyway. On the other hand, if the cones are not correctly spaced relative to the crown, strippers definitely make things much worse and can really louse up your groups. Much the same goes for muzzle brakes - ie no cones. Good ones do no harm, bad ones (for your gun) are a disaster.

And btw I tried taping the slots after finding the best cone setting. It certainly changed the POI but had no detectable effect on group size. This was one of the main bits of evidence that suggested to me that any good effects of strippers had little or nothing to do with the cones.

Alan

no avatar
gary martin

Sun May 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:16 am
I have thoroughly tested several different types of air stripper, including Rowan, on my AA guns, Steyrs and HW100. I have come to the conclusion that, as Gary said, on these guns at least, any improvement in grouping is probably due to adding weight to the barrel - and personally I didn’t find any clear improvement anyway. On the other hand, if the cones are not correctly spaced relative to the crown, strippers definitely make things much worse and can really louse up your groups. Much the same goes for muzzle brakes - ie no cones. Good ones do no harm, bad ones (for your gun) are a disaster.

And btw I tried taping the slots after finding the best cone setting. It certainly changed the POI but had no detectable effect on group size. This was one of the main bits of evidence that suggested to me that any good effects of strippers had little or nothing to do with the cones.

Alan
I read your post with great pleasure. You did the research, rather than just paying a price and believing the marketing. All too easy to pay for a product and convince yourself they are some wonderful game changer.

Blackbaronfish

Sun May 17, 2020 12:51 pm

If it looks good and gives you confidence in shooting true, then why not put one
BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
gary martin

Sun May 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:
If it looks good and gives you confidence in shooting true, then why not put one
BBF
good question. so i will have a go at an explanation. my initial response was to the OP. he asked if it could be used with a silencer etc. as to my reasons for why i believe they are a waste of money, they cost circa £50/60. In my mind practice with your kit is more vital. that amount of money, i could spend on pellets and gain quite a few weeks range time, getting to know my kit, how it performs in differing conditions. to my mind this gives confidence. when i first started FT, i won my regional winter series(in my grade) in my first year. i shot against people with all the kit. i was using a bog standard S400 and a nikko scope. the scope i still own and use today. i know it, i know what it does in different temps. i didn't win because i had better kit, but because i put the time in. you can't buy targets. beware of the man with one gun. in response to your answer, no problem with your statement, if it makes you feel good why not. But i would rather practice and get better than convince myself with snake oil. Of course there will always be something new, something to tempt us. some things will be of use, others are just garnish. air strippers i feel fall in the latter. in the end we all have a choice to make, spend your money how you will, but spend it wisely.

Blackbaronfish

Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 am

gary martin wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:17 pm
Blackbaronfish wrote:
BBF
good question. so i will have a go at an explanation. my initial response was to the OP. he asked if it could be used with a silencer etc. as to my reasons for why i believe they are a waste of money, they cost circa £50/60. In my mind practice with your kit is more vital. that amount of money, i could spend on pellets and gain quite a few weeks range time, getting to know my kit, how it performs in differing conditions. to my mind this gives confidence. when i first started FT, i won my regional winter series(in my grade) in my first year. i shot against people with all the kit. i was using a bog standard S400 and a nikko scope. the scope i still own and use today. i know it, i know what it does in different temps. i didn't win because i had better kit, but because i put the time in. you can't buy targets. beware of the man with one gun. in response to your answer, no problem with your statement, if it makes you feel good why not. But i would rather practice and get better than convince myself with snake oil. Of course there will always be something new, something to tempt us. some things will be of use, others are just garnish. air strippers i feel fall in the latter. in the end we all have a choice to make, spend your money how you will, but spend it wisely.
Totally agree with everything you have said. My statement was in general some give up on their kit and a little placebo gets you back on track.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started