Pitting on barrel and cylinder

no avatar
Rich s410

Pitting on barrel and cylinder

Fri May 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi all, I've just recently become a new owner of a second hand s410. Absolutely love the gun but there's a couple of niggles id like to fix.
There's pitting on the barrel and cylinder, it looks like it mayy have had some surface rust in the past and previous owner has sanded it an reblued it, however the pitting is still noticeable and I'd like to get it smooth and shiny.
So the question is, what steps can I take to get rid of the pitting, I've seen tutorials on how to re-blue and I'm confident about doing that but not sure if the pitting will remain?
Would it just be a case of keep sanding and smoothing the barrel and cylinder to get as smooth as possible before re blueing or are there better options? I was thinking some sort of metal filler to smooth it out before sanding(I've done some body work on cars before but I know this is alot different) ... I really don't know what's best and don't want to make it worse.

Thanks alot

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: Pitting on barrel and cylinder

Fri May 08, 2020 12:40 pm

Rubbing down the barrel I understand but two much rubbing can cause a dip which you don't really see until its blued and catches the light, but I suppose that will depend how deep the pitting is.
With the cylinder again depending on the depth of pitting I would get in touch with Julian and price a new one, there is a lot of pressure in there.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Rich s410

Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks eboswan, thi k I'll give it a light rub Down with some wet and dry re-blue.

What about painting them? What sort of paint could be used? Just another thought..

Thanks

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sun May 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Rich s410 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm
Thanks eboswan, thi k I'll give it a light rub Down with some wet and dry re-blue.
there are companies out there who will do a professional blue for you
What about painting them? What sort of paint could be used? Just another thought..
you can spray using krylon I think you can get matt and gloss finish but it's all in the preparation
Thanks
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Rich s410

Mon May 11, 2020 5:42 am

Thanks v much!