Air Dumping Pro Target

no avatar
zooma

Air Dumping Pro Target

Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:27 pm

I picked up a very nice condition Mk2 Pro Target last night that has been updated with a Mk3 barrel and regulator but it only had enough air in it to take one shot (on low power) after which I could hear air being dumped from around the regulator area.

The seller told me that this is normal when shooting on low power and when charged the problem disappears - until the air is too low again.

Sadly I have no handbook or knowledge to check this and the seller had no charging adaptor so I could put more air in.

Can anyone advise if they have a similar experience with their ProTarget and if this is "normal" so I can stop worrying and get myself a charging adaptor so I can fill it and enjoy shooting it?

Thanks for any help!

Bob.
Rossendale Model Target Club. BB4 6QS . Every Tuesday and Thursday 7 - 10pm.

Blackbaronfish

Re: Air Dumping Pro Target

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Totally normal as the air pressure has dropped to the point it can no longer hold the valve. The air will dump out of the barrel.
When you refill I suggest you cock the action first

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
zooma

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks for the reassurance!

I have managed to get a charging lead that fits OK, but I cannot get the rifle to accept (and store) any air.

I have tried to fill it with the rifle cocked and breech open, and with it closed, but all I get is air escaping.

When I remove the filling probe the air is still leaking out of the regulator, and when I pull the trigger the rifle fires OK but the gas then escapes from the barrel instead!

It seems like I don't have enough pressure to seal the reg and can't get enough air in to pressurise it.

Maybe I am doing something wrong and any help would be appreciated - or is there a clever fix you can share to overcome the problem?

Thanks,

Bob.
Last edited by zooma on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 pm

You may have a slow fill valve on the bottle preventing the blast needed to shut and hold the firing valve

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Blackbaronfish

Blackbaronfish wrote:
You may have a slow fill valve on the bottle preventing the blast needed to shut and hold the firing valve shut

BBF

no avatar
zooma

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:25 pm

OK - I will give it a quick blast - I have other 300 bar cylinders to blast it with!

Should I do this with the rifle cocked?

Breech open or closed?

no avatar
zooma

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:32 am

I have given the rifle a short fast blast from a 300Bar cylinder (a few times!), but unfortunately this has made no difference so it looks like I may have a seal failure?

Any ideas where to look first and if I need to remove the regulator?

Blackbaronfish

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am

Fire the action a few times then cock and blast a few time to get over the 100 bar

BBF

no avatar
zooma

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:37 pm

I finally gave up trying to fix my ProTarget - just after my local Air Arms dealer and gunsmith also failed to fix it and sent it away to Air Arms for a full service/repair.

I have just received the rifle back today and was amazed at the number of new parts that had been fitted (including a new air cylinder "due to age"), but at least the rifle should now be "tip-top" for the foreseeable future and I am told by my local dealer that it will also have an Air Arms warranty for 3 years - so not all bad!

I also treated the rifle to a brand new charging adaptor and flexi-hose from BEST fittings so all working parts are effectively "new" and should last me for a few more years !

no avatar
zooma

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I have now been able test my Pro Target following the Air Arms rebuild on the RMTC club range, and although the range is indoors and only 10 meters the rifle shoots perfectly and I am very pleased with it!

At 10 meters the rifle is laser accurate and 10 shots with JSB Exact hardly showed any enlargement of the first pellet hole so I am looking forward to being able to shoot it over a longer distance sometime soon!

A friend of mine sold me a Foxfire 8-32 x 50 SF scope that he had been using for bench rest shooting with his .22 rimfire rifle and I already had a set of BKL 30mm firearms spec scope mounts that I was able to fit (once I had found a suitable sized Allen key to fit the US cap heads) making the scope mounting as solid as a rock.

This is a nice combination for bench rest shooting but it is heavy, and I have no idea if it will be suitable for FT shooting - but I will probably find out soon enough!