Newby Questions for S400 Precision

no avatar
ColinAllison

Newby Questions for S400 Precision

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi Peeps,

I'm new on here, I am waiting for a secondhand S400 MPR Precision to be delivered next week. I will be using it mainly for Supported Shooting at 10m. It has a Butt Hook and an Anschutz rear dioptre sight with Adjustable Iris.

Can anyone advise on any alterations and checks to enhance accuracy. Things like Trigger Settings, Sights raisers, Stabilising etc. Any querks with it?

The Manual I have found, on line, is very basic and doesn't cover operating the rifle, is there a better Manual available, unfortunatly the previous owner has misplace the one that came with it.

Another questiion, last one I promise, how do you dryfire the rifle?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Newby Questions for S400 Precision

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:06 am

The S400 Precision is classic S400 from the firing valve backwards. in front of the firing valve it is completely different.
So all the S400/500 tips about cleaning and polishing the hammer rail, power screw, trigger sears etc apply to the precision too. All the stuff about firing pots, cylinders and regulators for example is irrelevant for you.
So assuming the rifle puts out 4 to 6 ft lb power over a chrono and the trigger is sweet wth a medium length first stage and snappy second stage, leave it alone.
If the power is down to 2 to 4 ft lb which it can over time then you need to take the gun apart to clean the hammer rail and adjust the power screw. Both these require the anti-tamper locks removing or taking to a gunsmith.
If the trigger is heavy and you can feel it drag through the let-off, (like they send them out of the factory) then start with turning the grub screw in the trigger nearest to the trigger post (2nd stage). Turn it anticlockwise 1/8 turn at a time until the second stage is like breaking a thin glass rod. But turn it too far and second stage disappears.
If the trigger is all over the place it can be reset to factory settings as follows. (Applies to all 3 sear triggers)
1. Cock the action. Wind out both grub screws at least one turn each so that it will not fire at all. Remove trigger blade and guard if it makes it easier.
2. cock the action again if necessary.
3. pull trigger fully back and hold it back.
4. wind in (clockwise) second stage screw (the one nearest the post) slowly til it fires.
5 screw it back out (anticlock) exactly half a turn
6. cock the action
7. pull trigger fully back and hold.
8. wind in the first stage screw (the one furthest from the post) slowly until it fires.
9 never touch this screw again! ever!
10 Go back to the second stage screw and wind it in one full turn.
It is now reset to factory. Should have long first stage and obvious second) Make any fine adjustments with the second stage screw only 1/8 turn at a time. In for heavy, out for light.

You can't dry fire it, you can only fire it without a pellet which is not a problem.

Any Anschutz fit raiser blocks will fit, I have 10mm set.
If you have an Anschutz rear sight you have a great upgrade from the crap factory sight.

I fill mine to 180bar and down to 140 which is about 50 shots at 6ftlb

User manuals available online as pdf but very basic.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Don't mention it.

no avatar
tonyc

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:45 pm

He didn't!

But some of us appreciate you Peter! ;)

no avatar
ColinAllison

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks for your reply TenMeterPeter, good stuff, very valuable.

:D