S510 carbine with Lane reg adjustment

no avatar
radar10

S510 carbine with Lane reg adjustment

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi folks,beginner to the PCP scene here (running a Pro Sport for a few years).
I have a Lane Reg fitted to my S510, I have a 7ft/s spread over 50 shots which is great. What's not so great is that it's running at an average of 714ft/s and I'd like to run it at around 780ft/s (for HFT as 714 makes for a bit of a large range card, I'm using RWS Superfields 8.3gn, so that will be within the limit).
The TP has been opened up to 3.5mm and the reg is running just on 100bar. I've tried changing the reg pressure both up and down, not a fun or happy result from that. The venturi screw adjustment doesn't make much difference. I have adjusted the valve spring without there being much change.
Can anyone help and suggest what I can do to bring this to where I want it to be?
Many thanks
Radar

no avatar
tonyc

Re: S510 carbine with Lane reg adjustment

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't have a Lane reg, but have Altaros on my US and factory fitted reg on my Weihrauch. So these suggestions are based on my general reg experience.

It seems you have made several changes so you possibly need to go back to square 1. I'd turn the reg pressure up high (140+bar) so peak power is when the gun is off reg then reset your power. You'll need to find the exact point at which your transfer port is unrestricted by the venturi screw, but not unscrew it further as this will add "dead space" to your transfer port which will reduce power. The you can turn your attention to the valve spring. If you want further details send me a PM.

If you are still having problems you may have to increase striker energy. I wouldn't have thought this would be necessary but it wouldn't do any harm to make sure your hammer rail is polished and the striker operating freely before resetting the power.

I've not had any luck with RWS. They don't group well or give good power in any of my Air Arms. I'd expect you'd get higher power with JSB or AA DF. But if you are getting good consistency with Superfields, fair enough!

Blackbaronfish

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 am

You should get full power with the ref set at 100bar. As mentioned check your hammer rail is clean and your getting a clean strike to the valve.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Archer50

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Assuming nothing is leaking, sticking or broken you should be getting a much higher MV than that. With the recommended spring pressures and the venturi right out I would expect 790+ fps with your pellets. It doesn’t sound like the breech seal or transfer port seal are blown (always my first suspects) as the MV is too consistent, but always worth checking. The next things I would check are the hammer and valve spring tensions. Possibly the wrong hammer spring has been fitted, or it has been deliberately weakened. Alternatively an over-heavy valve spring may have been fitted.

Robert Lane gives full instructions for checking the springs here, if you haven’t seen them already: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDsz9 ... ZRNTA/view.

Good luck

Alan

no avatar
radar10

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Many thanks for the replies, I thought I'd put one on yesterday, but must have timed out, or I forgot to click on "submit"....

@TonyC - I think I may go back to square 1 and go from there
@Blackbaronfish - it was originally set at 100bar, but I upped it to 150 and it didn't actually make any discernable difference. I have polished the hammer rail and the metal part of the valv, then(as suggested in Robert Lane's instructions) a very tiny amount of machine oil, it moves freely and I feel no resistance.
@Archer50 - the seals are all brand new and I have checked for any air coming back through the breech. The hammer spring is the original and the valve spring is an original bought from Mr Bond. The link you put in is exactly the one I've been following, glad that you pointed it out as it sort of confirms that I am looking in the right places

I can put the original parts back in (except the firing valve that I managed to damage before) and go from there. I'll see if I can wrangle some time to do that one evening this week and let you know the results.

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Have you confirmed the Lane installation uses original springing and valve? I thought the kit included something different but I may be completely wrong,

no avatar
radar10

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:32 am

Hi TonyC,
The Lane reg can be ordered with an uprated spring, this rifle didn't have that, just the original spring. Didn't have time last night to get anything done, may be possible to have a run at it tonight and will update.

no avatar
Archer50

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Have you tried speaking to Robert Lane himself? He is very approachable - just don't phone him when you're in a hurry :D

Alan

no avatar
air vermin

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Have you checked that the transfer port is 3.5mm through all 3 sections? My. 22 was set at 90-95 bar with 3.5 tp and a lane valve spring. I had to cut 1.75 coils off the hammer spring just so I could get it in ball park but still had the tp wound in a bit.
Just bought a. 177 barrel and probe off Julian and lightened the hammer so will see what that produces when my pellets arrive.
Cheers dave

no avatar
radar10

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 am

Best laid plans and all that.....still haven't managed to get to the rifle, here's hoping I'll get some time tonight and check all the bits you've all suggested.
Many thanks
Radar10