no avatar
RichieRich612

Re: Floating or clamped, pro's and con's

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 pm

poguemahone wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm
RichieRich612 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 pm
I've read it and they do float the cylinder sometimes by adding those 2 black pieces of thick tape found inside some stocks.
It's food for thought but I still think floating the barrel is better.
Never floated both barrel and cylinder yet though but will give it a try.
As for increasing the sweet spot it's impossible as floating either will not help the power curve when un regulated due to the physics of the hammer and valve working at different pressures within the fill pressure.
Can't beat using a chrono and finding that sweet spot between 150 and 120 bar for me.
Rich
aye up Rich, them black bits of tape that airarms put at the front of the stock defeat the object of floating the cylinder. it must be floated from the butt end mate 8-) your gun cant pass the £5 note test with them pads in ;)
i never mentioned anything about increasing the sweet spot by floating the cylinder :o , its purely for maximum accuracy, and nowt else :lol:
people still cant see the benefits of floating the aa cylinder, even though that dave fella from staffs custom rifles floats em as standard to maximise accuracy and his reputation 8-)
Wouldn't placing a washer between the stock screw and block free float the cylinder?
Rich

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Could you please send me some pics I'm interested to test this.
Although I do use my mpr mainly and that has a very little contact between the stock and cylinder anyway.
I also use my S400f .177 carbine which does need some attention to accuracy so I'll definitely consider floating the cylinder on that.
A8442612@googlemail.com
Rich

no avatar
poguemahone

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:33 pm

aye up Rich, i think floating the cylinder on 400/410 is an absolute must, not sure about tdr, as you say, theres not a lot of contact on them. you could try the £5 note test from the stock screw to the end of the stock though, as the slightest contact will affect accuracy. dave brayford puts a plastic shim on the stock bolt on these. i put mine just in front, and one right at the back on the 400. sorry i think thats the only pic i've got on that post i put a link to, but i'll see if i got any better ones.
i'm not too familiar with tdr, but i reckon if that dave fella does it, it can be taken as gospel :lol:
think Raj used film negative or summat, so maybe try that on tdr. the reason i put a shim right at the back of the cylinder/stock, as well as by/near the stock bolt is, if you just put it on the bolt you have to tighten the bolt too much, and overtight stock bolts on aa guns is the biggest cause of accuracy problems. give us a shout if you get stuck ;)

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm

poguemahone wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:33 pm
aye up Rich, i think floating the cylinder on 400/410 is an absolute must, not sure about tdr, as you say, theres not a lot of contact on them. you could try the £5 note test from the stock screw to the end of the stock though, as the slightest contact will affect accuracy. dave brayford puts a plastic shim on the stock bolt on these. i put mine just in front, and one right at the back on the 400. sorry i think thats the only pic i've got on that post i put a link to, but i'll see if i got any better ones.
i'm not too familiar with tdr, but i reckon if that dave fella does it, it can be taken as gospel :lol:
think Raj used film negative or summat, so maybe try that on tdr. the reason i put a shim right at the back of the cylinder/stock, as well as by/near the stock bolt is, if you just put it on the bolt you have to tighten the bolt too much, and overtight stock bolts on aa guns is the biggest cause of accuracy problems. give us a shout if you get stuck ;)
I don't own a tdr. I have an mpr and s400f
Rich

no avatar
poguemahone

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:58 pm

RichieRich612 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
I don't own a tdr. I have an mpr and s400f
Rich
sorry mate i really should borrow some glasses when i'm on the computer :oops:
it should work on the mpr, deffo work on the 400. i'm not going to ask him about the mpr, as i dont think he's forgiven me for disclosing his trade secret on here in 2010 (old site) :lol: :lol: