Changing left hand bolt to right hand?

no avatar
D_H_P

Changing left hand bolt to right hand?

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi,

I am considering buying a left hand rifle, but would want to change the bolt from left hand operation to proper right hand operation. Can anyone advise on whats required?

Regards,

Blackbaronfish

Re: Changing left hand bolt to right hand?

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

What rifle is the bolt on.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
D_H_P

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:46 am

Sorry, important bit of information missing from first post. Its an AA 410.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 pm

It’s a case of removing the bolt housing and flipping a pin inside. The bolt just moves into position once you have undone it and warmed the loctite
Pretty straight forward really

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
D_H_P

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:57 pm

thank you.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 pm
It’s a case of removing the bolt housing and flipping a pin inside. The bolt just moves into position once you have undone it and warmed the loctite
Pretty straight forward really

BBF
Won't a right handed bolt handle be upside down if installed as a left handed bolt though?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 am

The standard AA factory alloy bolt handle comes in two pieces and can be assembled either way round.
Of you have one with an aftermarket handle like Rowan one piece brass handle then you will have to replace it

When replacing the handle on the bolt you must avoid getting loctite in the bolt housing.
Assemble the handle dry and cock the action so the bolt is out of the housing.Grease the rest of the bolt well. Remove the hamdle and use 2 drops of low strength loctite inside the boss and assemble not too tight. Wipe off exuded loctite, and re-grease.
Close the bolt and make sure the handle is set with a gap between it and the stock when bolt is closed. Tighten the screw. Open the bolt and leave rifle in its left side for some hours to set.
Last edited by TenMetrePeter on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

no avatar
RichieRich612

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 am
The standard AA factory alloy bolt handle comes in two pieces and can be assembled either way round.
Of you have one with an aftermarket handle like Rowan one piece brass handle then you will have to replace it

When replacing the handle on the bolt you must avoid getting loctite in the bolt housing. Grease the rest of the bolt well first. Use low strength loctite and make sure the handle is set with a gap between it and the stock when bolt is closed.
So the centre part of the bolt handle will come away with heat?
I never knew that.
Seems a lot of Air Arms components are held together with loctite haha.

Richard

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Yes. The handle arm and the boss have separate part numbers. The screw passes thru a hole in the arm so you can swivel it 180.

I used green Loctite on truck engine roller conveyor sprockets in 1980 in place of keyways and grub screws. Its an engineering adhesive.

no avatar
nonmank

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Sorry also a newbie

I have the s400 mpr precision and am sadly left handed.

I have bought the left handed cocking bolt from Rowan and the instructions don't mention moving a pin.

The internet however reports I need to move a pin that involves removing an anti tamper?

If above is correct can I just switch the original around

Many thanks for your advice