s410 not zeroing. what have I done wrong?

no avatar
tonyc

Re: s410 not zeroing. what have I done wrong?

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Try without the moderator to see if you get consistent grouping, and check velocity with the chrono.
If the velocity and groupings are consistent without the moderator it will be the moderator.

If the velocity is consistent but the grouping isn't it could be the pellet but, from the spread you are getting it sounds unlikely. The barrel and/or scope are most likely causes.

If the velocity is wildly inconsistent you have a power issue. Could be many causes. I'd check for a breech leak first.

The spread will give indications: vertical stringing for power loss; single other direction caused by deflection; a morerandom spread could be pellets or a variety of random scope/reticle/barrel movements.

no avatar
John814ce

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Send it me mate and you pay for postage both ways and i get it shooting perfect, no fee.

no avatar
joewilliams97

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:45 pm

cheers for all the responses guys! I've gone through the things you've all suggested or as much as I can in my back yard! i think the scope mounts where a little on the loose side, I've tightened them up alot now and the grouping seems to be staying in the same place, although it did max out my scopes adjustment so that took me to trying the barrel band, as I loosened them off it moved a bit obviously under pressure. tightened it up and then re zero'd the scope! hey presto were looking better already, as for the silencer the little sleeve at the front of the gun that the silencer screws onto when I removed that there was a indentation on the barrel, I've rotated the sleeve so it's on a new part of the barrel and the silencer is no longer affecting the pellets flight, (possibly clipping with that sleeve being set off centre) I've just put 5 pellets through a hole no bigger than a 5p and it seems consistent, no flyers no moving all through one after another, tried a few more to get it zero'd and again no flyers. I've left its zero about 1" high as I've zero'd it at just under 20 yards and I need it at just over 30 yards I'm assuming this will be about right as I haven't had chance to test it just yet. maybe next weekend I'll be able to get out and give it a proper zero. cheers guys you've all been a great help!
Air Arms S410 .22
Hawke airmax 6x24x50
webly accupell 14.33

no avatar
joewilliams97

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm

John814ce wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:25 pm
Send it me mate and you pay for postage both ways and i get it shooting perfect, no fee.
that's a great offer and I'm very grateful! I think I may have sorted it now though!
Air Arms S410 .22
Hawke airmax 6x24x50
webly accupell 14.33

no avatar
rob2hook

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Glad to hear you've got it sorted. Just for amusement, I had a similar problem keeping the scope tight. It turned out I hadn't noticed the locking pin (used to stop the mounts sliding back under recoil on a springer). As it was stopping the mount from fully engaging with the rail, the gun was shooting all over the place! Being lazy, I didn't remove the pin, just positioned the mounts so that the pin dropped into on of the barrel mount screwholes.

Rob.

no avatar
Outandabout

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:57 pm

Good to hear you think you have sorted it.
You will probably need release the barrel band regularly to realign the barrel. It may seem a pain but I release the barrel band every time I fill the gun then tighten it back up.
Kevin