s410 not zeroing. what have I done wrong?

no avatar
joewilliams97

s410 not zeroing. what have I done wrong?

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:56 pm

went out to zero my s410 today, I got it second hand and broken from a mate I'm really struggling to get a consistent grouping. it will get a few good shots then launch one a few inches away then one back in the first hole then the entire grouping can move a few inch and it will group somewhere else. could this possibly be the amount of pressure its receiving? I'm also having troubles with silencers. when I put a silencer on it it massively reduces the power and the pellet drops a couple of inch (I left both silencers I tried off for zeroing today) this was my first rebuild on an air rifle and I thought I'd got it right but after trying to zero it I'm questioning myself. could this really only be dodgey pellets? I'm using the webley accupellet (my friend was using these and he said it was dead on for him) was zeroing at 30 yards as this is the set distance between my seat and the feeder
Air Arms S410 .22
Hawke airmax 6x24x50
webly accupell 14.33

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: s410 not zeroing. what have I done wrong?

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Moderator wil not reduce power (unless it’s blocked) but it can regroup pellets due to it never being 100% coaxial with the bore. A .22 moderator on a .177 rifle is good. Vice versa is very bad!
Flyers are one thing, regrouping for several shots is another...
Ensure the barrel band is tightly fixed.
Ditto the scope, maybe try another.
Try different pellets. Most prefer JSB.

no avatar
Outandabout

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi joe
Is it 177 or 22
Mine is 22
Is it actually reducing the power using a silencer? Have you used a chrono? to check the power drop. This sound really odd, and can't understand why just adding the silencer would reduce power.
Personally I use AA field diablo 5.52 and these are incredibly accurate. If I use AA field 5.51 or any other pellets the accuracy is greatly reduced.
How is the guns acuracy without the silencer v with the silencer ?. Sometimes the silencer baffles protrude into the path of the pellet causing fliers
The S410 is very pellet fussy.
Did you replace all the seals during the repair. It's worth replacing them if not.
It may sound stupid but
release the barrel band to realign the barrel and tighten it back up.
Could the sights be loose? Have you another sight you could try?
What pressure are you filling the gun to, mine shoots best at 180bar down to about 100bar with the sweet spot between 160 down to 120bar.
I am sure some of more experienced members will be able to help you more than me.
Kevin

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Outandabout wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:39 pm
Hi joe
Is it 177 or 22
Mine is 22
Is it actually reducing the power using a silencer? Have you used a chrono? to check the power drop. This sound really odd, and can't understand why just adding the silencer would reduce power.
Personally I use AA field diablo 5.52 and these are incredibly accurate. If I use AA field 5.51 or any other pellets the accuracy is greatly reduced.
How is the guns acuracy without the silencer v with the silencer ?. Sometimes the silencer baffles protrude into the path of the pellet causing fliers
The S410 is very pellet fussy.
Did you replace all the seals during the repair. It's worth replacing them if not.
It may sound stupid but
release the barrel band to realign the barrel and tighten it back up.
Could the sights be loose? Have you another sight you could try?
What pressure are you filling the gun to, mine shoots best at 180bar down to about 100bar with the sweet spot between 160 down to 120bar.
I am sure some of more experienced members will be able to help you more than me.
Kevin
Sounds like good advice kev :)
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
joewilliams97

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm

thanks for all the super fast replies! it's a .22 I haven't had it on a chrono but without a silencer you can see the pellet flying flatish to the target and then with silencer you can see it fall short by about 4 inches at 12 yards, and can clearly see an arc I've tried the air rifle silencer that came on it and I've tried a rimfire silencer on it and the rimfire effects the trajectory much less. I assume the barrel band is the bit of plastic at the front of the air chamber that's attached to the barrel? I'm not super clued up on names for parts which doesn't help the matter! I've changed the breech seal/ both the ones on the pressure gauge think they are part no. s427 I'm going to try some new pellets because I think the ones I'm using are a bit on the poor quality side. will be ordering some new scope mounts soon as I think they're also on the poor quality side.
Air Arms S410 .22
Hawke airmax 6x24x50
webly accupell 14.33

no avatar
deadeyeddick

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 pm

I am relatively new to pcp air rifles. Still on a steep learning curve. I had a similar problem with my S 510. It was grouping like a 1/2 choke on my shotgun at 30 yards. Was starting to pull my hair out. :? Turned out to the silencer was not screwing up properly. It was only barely loose. Nipped it up and everything was hunky dory. Also had a similar problem with my HW 100 shortly after having the trouble with the S510. Again checked everything, starting with checking the silencer, scope mount tightness, changed scope, cleaned barrel. You name it I did it. The tin of pellets went empty while I was trying to find out the problem. Opened a new tin of pellets. Hey presto. Pellet on top of pellet.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 pm

joewilliams97 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm
thanks for all the super fast replies! it's a .22 I haven't had it on a chrono but without a silencer you can see the pellet flying flatish to the target and then with silencer you can see it fall short by about 4 inches at 12 yards, and can clearly see an arc I've tried the air rifle silencer that came on it and I've tried a rimfire silencer on it and the rimfire effects the trajectory much less. I assume the barrel band is the bit of plastic at the front of the air chamber that's attached to the barrel? I'm not super clued up on names for parts which doesn't help the matter! I've changed the breech seal/ both the ones on the pressure gauge think they are part no. s427 I'm going to try some new pellets because I think the ones I'm using are a bit on the poor quality side. will be ordering some new scope mounts soon as I think they're also on the poor quality side.
Yes make sure it isn’t a .177 moderator!
AA pellets are JSB by the way.
The barrel band is figure of 8 shaped and should be alloy and clamped up with grub screw(s).
There is an AA video about it in Youtube. Search Air Arms DIY

no avatar
joewilliams97

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm sure 100% one of the silencers is .22 as I used to have it on my rimfire, I'll try to loosen the barrel band off and let it do its thing then tighten it, I'll order some JSB pellets tonight are the 5.51 and 5.52 dependant on what your gun likes or do the 5.52 tend to he the better ones?
Air Arms S410 .22
Hawke airmax 6x24x50
webly accupell 14.33

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 am

That’s another talking point in itself. My view is it makes little difference because you resize them as soon as they are loaded. Other opinions will doubtless follow. :lol:

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:53 am

I would also suggest putting a pile of soft rags at your 30m point and try to harvest some shot pellets and check for clipping damage on head or skirt. You will need to fire off 30 or more into different parts of the pile.