New Air Arms S510 XS Carbine

no avatar
GK1

New Air Arms S510 XS Carbine

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi All,
This is my first post here because l am considering buying one of the new regulated S510 XS FAC Carbines.

Basically l'm after some thoughts on the regulated versions as there is very little info out there.

I am determined to get a carbine but the unregulated FAC carbine has such a low shot count that l feel l need to get the regulated version. Having said that l have never been able to determine what the shot count is at the lowest power setting.

l have seen comments on other forums saying that there have been lots of issues with the new regulated versions and that they are too complicated and unreliable this has got me worried to the point of buying something else.
Cheers
George

no avatar
John814ce

Re: New Air Arms S510 XS Carbine

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Buy the tdr mate, unless the fac carbine has the full length barrel? Otherwise you could end up with accuracy problems with the baffles.

no avatar
GK1

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 pm

l'm fairly certain that the S510 XS Carbine has a sleeved barrel.

l wasn't aware that this was a problem - are they poorly toleranced?

However here in Australia we can't have moderators/silencers so the baffles are removed. They just have an empty barrel sleeve.

no avatar
John814ce

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:37 pm

No mate not poorly toleranced, it's only when you have issues with flyers then it can be something you may need to eliminate. If you cant have silencers then what about an s410 classic with an air stripper on it? Are do you need a regulator?

no avatar
GK1

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am

I am leaning towards the regulated carbine for the shot count (35 shots on full power).
l think the unregulated version is quoted at 16 shots.
l am keen to know how many shots on the low power setting, but have been unable to find anyone who can answer this.

no avatar
John814ce

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm quite sure the power setting is just to reduce the transfer port hole, so that being the case its not going to save any air it just slows it down once its already left the reg. You would have to turn the reg pressure down to save air and get more shots. If i were you mate i would personally buy an fac fx crown if the fixed shroud is legal in aussie.

no avatar
GK1

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 pm

Agree that it's just a port size adjustment.
l thought that restricting this does limit the amount of air used in the unregulated version and you get more shots, however l have no idea about what happens with a regulated gun.
This is one of the main questions l was hoping to get an answer for.
So are you saying that with a regulated gun l can adjust the power level but the shot count stays the same?
Does any know how the new Air Arms regulator can be adjusted? ls it externally adjustable?
Plan B is to get a FX Dreamline Walnut and Plan C was the Crown (but l can only afford the Synthetic version of the Crown and l'm not convinced of the durability of the soft touch finish)

no avatar
John814ce

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:45 am

The unregulated aa is the same your not going to save air it just slows the air down, as far as i know you cant adjust the reg on the new aa without stripping it, but dont hold me to that im 85% sure there will be some way of adjustment when stripped, best bet give aa a call and speak to the technical depot they will put you right. But honestly mate as much as i love my s510 i would be buying a fx crown or a mrk11 wildcat if i was wanting fac power are a hw100 wiehrach.

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:25 pm

GK1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 pm
Agree that it's just a port size adjustment.
l thought that restricting this does limit the amount of air used in the unregulated version and you get more shots, however l have no idea about what happens with a regulated gun.
This is one of the main questions l was hoping to get an answer for.
So are you saying that with a regulated gun l can adjust the power level but the shot count stays the same?
Does any know how the new Air Arms regulator can be adjusted? ls it externally adjustable?
Plan B is to get a FX Dreamline Walnut and Plan C was the Crown (but l can only afford the Synthetic version of the Crown and l'm not convinced of the durability of the soft touch finish)
You are being given incorrect information. The regulated gun will give a higher shot count than the unregulated and you will get more shots if you turn the power down. The power adjustment restricts the flow through the transfer port so the pressure drop in the reg chamber is less than it would be with transfer port unrestricted so it draws less air from the cylinder when the reg inlet valve opens. I don't have a regulated FAC Air Arms so I can't tell you how many more.

no avatar
GK1

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:07 pm

I've been doing some further research and l think l'm starting to understand what's going on.
The regulator only controls the pressure - not volume of air.
The transfer port can restrict the amount of air, so on the lower settings less air can be passed into the barrel.
However the main reason you get more shots is because the regulated rifle will be able to operate over a greater range of pressure.