Stainless screws

no avatar
Roger5

Stainless screws

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:17 am

Any opinions on swapping out screws for stainless, differing metals etc, some of The screws A/A use seem pretty poor quality to me.

no avatar
Archer50

Re: Stainless screws

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:45 am

I have built up a stock of all the screws and just replace any that look dodgy when I have the gun apart. I can't remember the exact number, but there's less than a dozen different types. The ones that take most of the strain are M4x16 SKT and M3x16 SKT which are used in several places. I don't see that stainless would make any difference. On the other hand, I have thought of replacing the smaller screws with Torx screws as I'm fed up with Allen sockets rounding off, even using good quality Wiha and Bondhus keys.

Alan

no avatar
rob2hook

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:39 am

I'd have said average quality rather than poor quality. Certainly sufficient to the task as viewed from AA's perspective - after all with AT fitted they don't mean you to touch any of them anyway! I can't see any problems arising from dissimilar metals should you choose to use stainless, assuming you regularly wipe the gun over with an oily rag after cleaning.

Rob

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:56 am

Re Differing metals - Most steel screws on an AA rifle are into alloy so I don’t think stainless into alloy would be anything but an improvement.
Only thing I find with stainless is that the allen sockets tend to be oversize, particulatly on CSK and grub. I now use black screws again on guns, stainless on bikes etc.