Results from different holds from different pellets

no avatar
josh3rd

Results from different holds from different pellets

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Members, today I was shooting my .177cal Air Arms Prosport at 35yds. Now I already know/have her preferred pellet which is the Air Arms Field Diabolo 8.4gr which shoots at 785fps and incredibly accurate as well. In 2nd place is the jsb express 7.87gr shooting @ 823fps but after today I may have to reevaluate her second choice in the jsb 7.87, lol.

Today? Well lets just say it was a cold 34 degrees and a light 7mph wind. I kept going in and out the house to warm up. Man o man my fingers were numb.
The pellets that were used today were JSB 10gr, JSB 7.87gr, H&N Baracuda, Berman Kodiak and CPL 7.9gr Brown Box.
There were 3 different (holds) places that I placed the rifle on.
1) SS (Stock Screws); The front stock screws is where I placed the front rest at. "SS" is the abbreviation on the target so you know where the rifle was while being shot
2) 4F (Four Fingers); This means that the rifle is placed on the rest four "4" fingers away from the trigger guard
3) 8F (Eight Fingers); This means that the rifle is placed on the rest eight "8" fingers away from the trigger guard.

JSB 10.34gr; 4F= 13/16", .63" ctc; SS= 7/8", .69" ctc

JSB 7.87gr; 4F= 7/16", .26" ctc, 8F= 11/16", .51" ctc, SS= 3/4", .57" ctc

H&N Baracuda 10.6gr; 4F= 15/16" (FYI: Sub group .26"ctc), .76" ctc, 8F= 5/8", .44" ctc, SS= POINTLESS

Beeman Kodiak 10.? gr; 4F= 1/2", .323 ctc, 8F= 15/16", .76" ctc, SS= 7/8", .69" ctc

CPL Domed Brown Box 7.9gr; 4F= 5/8"(if you minus 1 flyer its 3/8" and .19" ctc), .44ctc, 8F= 5/16", .13" ctc (WHOA), SS= 1/2", .323" ctc

The first measurement was outside to outside and the measurement after that is the groups center to center

All shooting was done from a little orange fold out table with a Caldwell front and rear rest (And yes, yes, I know the story...some springers don't shoot well off a rest, use the artillery hold and yada, yada, yada. I appreciate it but lets put that on the back burner for another day)

Now if the weather was warmer, believe me, this "testing" of pellets and holds would've been more clean and in depth. Meaning that i would've tried holds in 1" increments from trigger guard onward and I would have been more patient in taking shots and not worrying about the temperature or trying to get stuff finished before losing the sunlight.

One thing I did notice was that she didn't seem to care for the heavier pellets except for the Beeman Kodiaks. That goes to tell you that when others say that H&N's FTT's, Baracudas are the same as Beeman FTS and Kodiaks, that they are wrong. Just like Air Arms Diabolo's and JSB's. I have and still get noticeable different POI. Well thats talk for another time. Here are some pics and hopefully with my description of the holds above that you can understand what I am doing and where the rifle was being placed.

Now for all you “critics” if you don’t have anything positive to say and/or contribute, please refrain from commenting because I don’t got time for that and new or young airgunners/shooters don't need gossip and negative opinions. And for all you beginners, don’t take what I say as “Gold” or “Law”, but understand that different holds, different pellets do different things for different rifles/pistols and different shooters. I hope everybody gets a little bit of something from this. Now go out and shoot.

Oh yeah, for all those who has ever helped me in my time of being an airgunner, I want to say thanks to all of you. And you guys know who you are.

most circles are 1/4"-3/8"

no avatar
pelletcaster

Re: Results from different holds from different pellets

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 am

"...some springers don't shoot well off a rest...
...Now for all you “critics” if you don’t have anything positive to say and/or contribute, please refrain from commenting..."
:roll:

nuff said. :lol:
Live is a journey - not a destination.
-----------------------------------------
AA TX200 HC / LGU Master / LGV-CU / HW35 / HW50s (1974) / HW50S (2015) / HW90 / DIANA 34 T01
DS MK4iS-S / SPA P-12 / CZ200S-Green

no avatar
Roger5

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

Even adding a torch to a springer can change the poi, my 80 shoots an inch lower, ok when you know

no avatar
John814ce

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 pm

I had a pro sport. 177 mate i found similarities, it was weird sometimes if i gripped it a bit tight around the pistol grip on the stock when shooting it grouped tighter. But it did group really well after around 4-5 tins of pellets through it....... yes that many, and i never cleaned the barrel and it shooted lovely. Hope this helps. Try a quality scope and mounts as well.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:12 pm

when Changing pellets it’s good practice to pull a light patch through to get rid of the crap that’s hanging about. The different pellets will give different piston actions which translates to muzzle flip.
When holding the rifle one can tame it to get accuracy and repeatability.
I have also found the testing in the cold gives odd groupings due to the warming up and the cooling of the piston seal. Some springers need a few shoot offs before a competition.
And adding to the fact as you mentioned springers don’t like being grounded and prefer to recoil naturally.
Have you only just started to get problems or has it always had this characteristics.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
josh3rd

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies