Replacing O rings on the Alfa Proj pistol

no avatar
Tony Mac

Replacing O rings on the Alfa Proj pistol

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Any recommendations on how to slide the barrel back into its housing without nipping the edges off the two O rings (listed as #58) as the barrel passes over the openings for the two retaining grub screws?
On taking out the grub screws I found there were little slivers of rubber underneath each of them. I didn't realise what they were until I had replaced the old rings with the new ones and tried to slide the barrel back in with gun oil to help its journey.
I noticed another two slivers of rubber in the grub screw holes and on removing the barrel, I found two neat nibbles out of the new rings. The base of the screw holes must razor sharp, and on looking at the old rings they also has flats of both of them, so it must be a problem that predates my ownership if the gun.
Any tricks up your sleeves would be gratefully accepted. The packets of replacement rings are expensive. I am lucky I ordered two sets but am loathe to use the #58 O rings from the second set until I have an assured way of getting them past the grub screw holes without being shaved flat!

Tony McLean TAG

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Replacing O rings on the Alfa Proj pistol

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Can you put flat/smooth bottom screws in place of the grubs temporarily? Screw in just enough

no avatar
Tony Mac

Re: Replacing O rings on the Alfa Proj pistol

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll away out to the box of small metric machine screws in the workshop and see if I can find a couple of matches.
ll need to turn them down to ball-ish ends in the Dremel to make sure they depress the O rings just enough to prevent the sheering as they pass over the grub screw shaft.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Tony Mac TAG