Cold weather air leak!

no avatar
dave h

Cold weather air leak!

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:29 am

So it has been a long time since I last posted here but the S410 and the TDR have been doing valiant service on the pest control front in the meantime.
I have found though that the S410 seems to have developed a leak in the valve (old style ball rather than the newer T bar) in particularly cold weather.
The first time this happened I wondered what the noise was before I realised it was air whistling out the end of the cap....
Was out last night on rat patrol, and the dreaded sound started up again :( Well it gave me an excuse to stop freezing off bits of myself and go and sit in front of the wood burner but it didn't help with the rodent control :?

So the question: do I replace the old style vale with the same (assuming I can still get hold of one) or do I replace it with the newer valve? Is that even possible?
It has never done this before so I guess it is down to wear on the valve with time?

cheers

Dave

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Cold weather air leak!

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:58 am

To be honest, if it was mine, I would happily fit the new A/A fitting, plus it has a filter in it

no avatar
Archer50

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:41 pm

No problem fitting the 'new' AA filler, but I'd think about the Altaros or Lane quick-fills with the pressure gauge in front, where I prefer it, and in the case of the Altaros at least, a flow restrictor which means you can just open the valve as wide as you like on whatever bottle you are using without worrying about overfilling.

Alan

no avatar
dave h

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'll look into both.

Any suggestions on the best method to empty the cylinder in order to make the change?
I really don't fancy shooting off that many shots.....

cheers

Dave

no avatar
Archer50

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:23 pm

dave h wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Any suggestions on the best method to empty the cylinder in order to make the change?
Just gently crack open the bolt that attaches the alloy gauge mount and wait until the hissing stops! Make sure you've got spare O-rings (6x1 and BS008) in case one or both get damaged (its a good idea to replace them anyway, while you're at it). In fact, emptying the air by firing is not as bad as it sounds, and if you're in any doubt, that's the failsafe method.

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm

+1 for above method, I've always done it like this, with no problems

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Or if you don't fancy the above,you can put a 5p coin In the fillercap ad screw it back on slowly until you can hear the air venting.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
dave h

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Particularly like the 5p solution!

Good to see that the site is still a source of help. :mrgreen: