HW 98

no avatar
Heff

HW 98

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:55 pm

My HW 98 springer has started to shoot very erratically. Even from a soft rest the pellets are going all over the place. Sometimes left then a couple of inches right or high. It used to be very accurate. I have tightened all the screws, cleaned the barrel and even fitted a different scope to no avail. I am a bit nervous about taking it apart but it doesn't look too difficult according to utube. Could it be the spring and has anyone got any advice regarding a tuning kit. Many thanks in advance.

no avatar
tonyc

Re: HW 98

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:03 pm

A big question, and one better asked in the Weihrauch Owners' Club site.

First, are you using the same pellets, something that the gun has always been accurate with?
Is this a step change (or something that has developed over time in a noticeable progression)?
Have you cleaned and re-leaded the barrel?
Is the scope okay (no damaged/floating reticle or malfunctioning ajustments)?
Are you using different mounts and are they holding the scope securely?
Is the barrel closing smoothly and consistently, neither binding or loose? Is the detent holding the closed barrel in the same position? Is the action firm in the stock? (Even with screws tight you may be getting some movement.)

If the answer to these is "Yes" then you need to look at the internals. A few shots over a chrono will tell you if you are getting excessive variations in power - another indicator of internal issues, though there may be issues even when the power is fairly consistent.

You didn't say if this is a .177 or .22. The .177 is quite a snappy gun even at 12 ft lb, so quite hold-sensistive and likely to have inconsistent recoil if the internals aren't running smoothly.

no avatar
Heff

Re: HW 98

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Many thanks for all the info, I've got hold of a chrono so will be able to test for consistency, then take it from there.