Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:44 am

Oooo, doesn't look pretty though, but if it works, personally, I've not had one break on me, but I know people who have

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am

deadeyedick wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:29 pm
During my communications with AA I suggested the two O ring fix. They said that they had tried it and found it not to be a satisfactory fix. Why I have no idea. I also suggested the O ring being placed in the centre of the drum and recessed deeper.
I think the difficulty with either a 2 o-ring or mid o-ring arrangement is you would find the case prevents the pellet being loaded into the mag. The present arrangement allows the pellet to fall in. If you include any o-ring to prevent the pellet coming back to foul the casing hole you will have to push the pellet skirt past the inner surface of the casing. A further problem with the middle-ring is it would have to be far enough in to deal with different skirt lengths, making the initial push even deeper into the mag. The Weihrauch mags have a marginal problem with this even though they have no casing. A short pellet (JSB RS or Express) will sit behind the o-ring unless pressed hard into the mag. With my fat fingers, H&N Sniper Light will only go under the o-ring if I use a finger nail, which can damage the skirt. It seems to me a casing would make this problem much worse.

no avatar
deadeyedick

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

I wonder if they have changed the indexing pawl due to the related problem of the drum jamming when a pellet gets stuck. The user tries too hard to complete the cocking of the gun by pushing the side lever forward too hard. This could damage the indexing pawl, by getting bent against the stuck non moving drum. Wonder also if the new design is backward compatible.

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I think these are related problems but not sure which comes first. My mags occasionally won't slot in, and when I take them out I find the drum is between detents. Have I read a thread where other owners have had mags jumping out? A bent pawl could cause the drum to be incorrectly aligned and the mag to not slot in fully and/or jump out. I would have thought the most likely reason for the old-style pawl to get bent is straining it with the cocking lever as you say. Another reason could be an incorrectly located drum being forced in, although I think this is less likely.

bgaltd

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:46 pm

deadeyedick wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:47 pm
Yes the magazines I use are air arms as is the pellets.
Air Arms don't make a multi mag , only the single 10 shot mags . the muti mags are an after market inject molded / 3D printed product made by someone other than Air Arms .

bgaltd

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:49 pm

gdavison wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 am
Guy posted this photo on one of the Facebook groups of the new indexing post design

i think it was only problematic with the Galahad . i don't think there is any need to worry about the other ones .

no avatar
tonyc

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm

bgaltd wrote:
deadeyedick wrote:
Air Arms don't make a multi mag , only the single 10 shot mags . the muti mags are an after market inject molded / 3D printed product made by someone other than Air Arms .
I think most of us took "multi mag" to mean the AA 10-shot mag (as opposed to a single-shot loader) as supplied with the gun originally. I wasn't sure if you were suggesting AA don't actually make these and they are bought by AA from a 3rd party manufacturer.

bgaltd

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 am

tonyc wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm
bgaltd wrote:
deadeyedick wrote:
I think most of us took "multi mag" to mean the AA 10-shot mag (as opposed to a single-shot loader) as supplied with the gun originally. I wasn't sure if you were suggesting AA don't actually make these and they are bought by AA from a 3rd party manufacturer.
yes , i can see that now but a multi mag is 2 ten shot mags joined together . you can shoot the first 10 then turn it over and shoot the second 10 .