Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

no avatar
deadeyedick

Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:02 am

Major problem with Air Arms mutli - magazine when trying to index a pellet when the rifle barrel is at an upward incline. As you try to index a pellet it slides forward and interferes with the clear front casing. As a result the magazine rotation is stopped and next pellet cannot be indexed into the breech. I e-mailed AA and was told in a reply from them that they are fully aware of this problem and they are working on coming up with a solution. How long does it take, with a “rolling development” policy to come up with a solution. This problem of the pellets sliding forward in the magazines have been causing problems since day one. The next pellet cannot be indexed into the breech unless the rifle is put in the horizontal, or the muzzle pointed in a downward direction. Not what you would expect from a rifle of this price.

I have two S510 and both do the same.

I also have a HW 100 and the next pellet can be indexed and pushed into the breech, when the rifle is inclined at any angle. Not good enough Air Arms.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 am

Their development team must be 100% on the level.
:shock:

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:21 pm

A consequence of the plastic cover, I think, so the mag itself is further from the breech.
Length of pellet is a factor. I've only had this problem with very short pellets, so trying to find a longer alternative might help. Also you might try a 3-D printed mag. I haven't had any issues with mine (the casing is thinner) though I've not tried it with very short pellets.
HWs are not 100% reliable on pellet feed - plenty of examples of HW100 pellet probes getting bent or misaligned by jammed pellets.

no avatar
deadeyedick

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:47 pm

The pellets I am using are Air Arms Field. In both my S510's in .22 and .177 use AA pellets. You would expect these rifles to be capable of working properly with these, but no they slide forward and stop the rotation of the drum as the pellets try to come out of the front loading hole in the magazine. As such when trying to load the pellet the pellet probe comes up against the clear front of the magazine. The pellets are so loose in the magazine they make noise like a babies rattle. The only purpose of the "O" ring in the magazine is to stop the pellet from coming out of the rear of the magazine before it is pushed into the breech by the pellet probe. I have never had any problems with the indexing of pellets with my HW 100, which is now the best part of 6 years old. With the HW I can keep the muzzle inclined upwards when loading the next pellet. I do a lot of shooting vermin perched in trees. It is really annoying that in order to breech the next pellet I have to lower the rifle to a horizontal or downward incline. This means many a missed kill opportunity due to the need to reposition the rifle.

Perhaps a central located and deeper recessed "O" ring fitted to hold the waste of the pellet firm, like the Wheirauch would eliminate the problem. If the "O" was recessed below the surface deep enough so that the indexing lever could not catch it, then this, would cure the problem. Its not rocket science. By doing this there would be no need to change or alter the indexing mechanism.

no avatar
tonyc

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Right, I'm on the same track now. I rarely reload the 510 with the rifle steeply inclined. Just tried both my AA mags out of the gun and the pellets in one are definitely looser than the other. The two mags aren't identical so I'm not sure if one is a different earlier version. The 3D-printed mag needs a good shake to get the pellets out (but so does one of the AA mags) so it may be a bit better at steep angles although it is fundamentally the same design. I'll try it in the gun to see if there is any difference and let you know.

no avatar
The Burpster

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm

You still happy with the printed mags Tony?

no avatar
tonyc

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:55 pm

The Burpster wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm
You still happy with the printed mags Tony?
Yes, I leave in the gun (empty) then switch to a loaded AA mag usually. Too many times I've gone out only to find I've left my mags at home... not any more! I used to carry mags loaded with 3 weights (7.87, 8.44, 10.34gr) but hardly ever use the lighter pellet. So, to be fair, its not had a lot of use, mostly when I'm comparing different pellets.

Have you had any failures yet?

bgaltd

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 am

is the multi mag even an Air Arms product ?

i thought it was an after market product made by someone else :shock: :shock: :shock:

no avatar
Popgun

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 am

I have owned an AA S410 a week, my first ever AA & i like it.
i also found the mag issue, i now "seat" the pellet ( Prems ) so the pellet is retained by the O rng, this i assume is why there is an O ring in the disc in the first place
Rapid 12/200 MTC Genesis 3>9 x 40
Rapid 12/200 FAC Bushnell Scope Chief 4 > 14 X 50 AO
Impact GSX 200 .20 Bushnell 4.5 >16 x 44 HD SF
AA S410f .22 Hawke Sport HD 4 x 40
Anschutz 1417 .22 Rim Fire Hawke 4-12 x 50 Vantage IR

no avatar
deadeyedick

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 pm

The purpose of the O ring is simply to stop the pellet sliding out the rear of the magazine. Its function is not to physically hold the pellet in place. I will though try what you suggest and push the pellets slightly further back into the drum where it can be gripped by the O ring. It is a botched fix, which userers of these rifles should not have to do. The problem is well known to AA and has been for some time. Their rolling development obviously does not include this problem being addressed.