Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

no avatar
woody2906

Re: Air Arms Magazine Pellet Loading problem.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Likewise I have never had this problem. I find that AA Field 5.52 often need a tap to ensure they drop through the cover plate and seat into the drum. I have noticed that Crossman Premiers are a loser fit and possibly could fall back. I recall one of the Daystate models had a problem where pellets would fall back into the loading mechanism and jam the action.

I beleive the remedy was to keep the rifle horizontal when cocking the mechanism, simple :roll:

no avatar
deadeyedick

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am

I have tried both 5.51 and 5.52 AA Diablo Fields. They both are very loose inside the magazine. I still think though that a rifle of these prices should not have to be loaded with the muzzle either in the horizontal or angle downwards. This problem has been known to AA for a very long time. When shooting ground based vermin then this problem does not exist. When shooting tree based pests, it means that after every shot the muzzle of the rifle must be lowered to the horizontal. In fact even when lowered to this plane the magazine sometimes needs a tap or two in order to move the next pellet which is going to be load just back far enough so it does not foul the drum rotation. It is akin to buying a car which cannot be driven up hill because the pressure of the fuel pump is inadequate in delivering fuel to the engine. That would not be acceptable to anyone, so why must we accept a rifle which has a design fault.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 am

If it was mine I would file down the o ring slot with a rat tail hole by hole until the o ring did its job. Only need a rub across where the rubber goes across the holes. Sometimes (often) you need to fettle guns especially when they buy in this kind of die cast stuff from china etc. The diopter sights on the target versions are cr@p but people will not pay £400 for decent sights on a £800 rifle.
I also understand fully that not every shooter can use hand tools.
How long have AA known about this?

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 am

The Oring isn't designed to hold the pellet, its there to stop the pellet dropping straight through the mag when loading, I'm like Tony with this, I can't replicate this problem, once any of my mags are loaded, it requires quite a sharp tap to get them to fall out, are the mags the latest or older ones, sounds like they could be slightly oversized, this is with .177 it's different in .22 I put all my AADF .22 4.52 through a sizer as quite often they won't just drop straight in and require pushing through the plastic cover, but once in they don't fall out either. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi Rog I guess you are saying they are designed to hold the skirt but not the head?
OK but if he “adjusts” the design a few thou to hold on the head then they cant fall out either way.
As you say yours dont fall out without a sharp tap so the ring must be brushing the head anyway?
I am assuming the 510 mag has the o ring on the outer diameter?

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:16 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm
Hi Rog I guess you are saying they are designed to hold the skirt but not the head?
OK but if he “adjusts” the design a few thou to hold on the head then they cant fall out either way.
As you say yours dont fall out without a sharp tap so the ring must be brushing the head anyway?
I am assuming the 510 mag has the o ring on the outer diameter?
Hi Peter, no, what I'm saying is the O-ring isn't designed to hold the pellet at all, it just stops the pellet from exiting the mag when filling it, and yes, S410/510 mags are the same, if I remember right, weihrauch mags have to have the pellets seated i.e. Pushed in and the O-ring holds them in place, not so with A/A mags, and that could be the problem here, but as I said, it doesn't happen with my mags, but can see that it could be possible, could also be pellet size?

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Ah yes I see now.

I wouldn’t have designed it that way! Needs 2 orings, one either side of the head so they have to be seated. Lathe anyone??

no avatar
deadeyedick

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:29 pm

During my communications with AA I suggested the two O ring fix. They said that they had tried it and found it not to be a satisfactory fix. Why I have no idea. I also suggested the O ring being placed in the centre of the drum and recessed deeper.

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 pm

You could try taking the magazine apart and reversing the pellet retainer so that the pellet is now held by the o-ring, you would now have to push the pellet in yourself, but it seems to work ok, how does that grab you? Just had another look at what I tried, and this might not work as o-ring might get damaged by the indexer, got .177 magazines, but no rifle to try it on, Rog
Last edited by Roger5 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdavison

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 am

Guy posted this photo on one of the Facebook groups of the new indexing post design

AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT