Interchangeable parts?

no avatar
rob2hook

Interchangeable parts?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:37 pm

I wonder if there is a resource which would allow me to identify whether parts from the 400/500 range are interchangeable? At present this is just an academic interest, but if AA or an RFD ever get hold of my rifle, they are likely to condemn the cylinder, purely due to its age - could a longer cylinder be fitted and has anyone done this who could comment on the resultant balance?

Likewise, should an accident befall the barrel (I doubt I could put enough lead down it to wear it out!) would the S400 MPR FT barrel fit? Again the balance would be moved toward the muzzle. I don't know why, but I find the MPR FT very attractive, it's a pity it was discontinued - possibly to move prospective customers onto the more expensive 500 versions.

Looking at current and obsolete models suggests that the majority of modules can and have been interchanged over the years.

Rob.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Interchangeable parts?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm

When parts were handled by John Rothery there were a stack of parts diagrams online, and you could identify part numbers that are common to several models and some that are not. If you can find parts diagrams online that’s the way to go. So far Deben can’t be arsed to put them out there.
Some user manuals have parts lists and some don’t.
There is a story/myth out there that MPR bolt housings were sent to Lothar for “matching” to the 14mm barrels. Might be true. Of course many versions of bolt housing exist with different fixing screw configurations. My 10m version has only 1 antitamper screw. Others have 2 or none.

no avatar
rob2hook

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 am

I guess that's a no, then? I'm pretty sure that all the parts are available from BGAL, but the manuals on the website are all for current production models - quite understandably so. My own gun is a S400 pre-AT, so I am relying on the parts list in my own User Manual. In fact, there are minor discrepancies in that as they were , by the looks of it, already working toward the AT models.

It would be a very useful facility to build up a complete archive of all the manuals, perhaps if Julian agrees it could be done on the owners club website rather than his commercial site?

There are, f course other ways to achieve the desired result, such as fitting a Rowan adjustable trigger (pretty much a Chinese copy of the FT unit) and barrel support with a sleeve on the original barrel. Unfortunately the adjustable stock comes in at a price that makes my eyes water!

Whilst on that subject, does anyone know whether the length of pull varies between the current MPR based models? The AA website refers to the Precision as being suited to younger or female shooters, so does that imply a shorter stock? I'm around 5'7" and find the standard stock length just a little too mush, so am considering taking the recoil pad off - recoil? what recoil?

Rob.

no avatar
Archer50

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:12 am

The S400 and 500 series, including the Ultimate Sporters and HFT500 share a lot of parts as mechanically they are all based on the S400. In general, stocks, cylinders, triggers, most firing valves, springs, seals and some barrels are interchangeable, as are quite a few other bits. I suggest you speak to Julian (bgaltd on here) if in doubt about a specific part, as there are slightly different versions of some parts depending on the age and exact model of the gun and whether it is FAC or not.

You specifically asked about cylinders, and unless you have the weird 'double-barrelled' version, all are interchangeable. For example, at the moment I have the shorter rifle cylinder on my regulated HFT500.

Alan

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Yes I didn’t mean to pee on your chips. There are indeed a lot of common parts. Just don’t make assumptions without checking, and yes Julian will not only confirm but supply what you want.
As far as I can tell the MPR stocks on S400 FT, 10m Precision and 10m Sporter are the same short length (though not interchangeable). Hence the additional bolt-on alloy butt pad is maybe 3inches front to back. 10m cylinders hammers and springs are different.
They market the 10 m sporter to teens and the 10m Precision to Adults but the only difference is the barrel fore sight extension and the absence of an internal fore end rail.

bgaltd

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 am

rob2hook wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:37 pm
I wonder if there is a resource which would allow me to identify whether parts from the 400/500 range are interchangeable? At present this is just an academic interest, but if AA or an RFD ever get hold of my rifle, they are likely to condemn the cylinder, purely due to its age - could a longer cylinder be fitted and has anyone done this who could comment on the resultant balance?

Likewise, should an accident befall the barrel (I doubt I could put enough lead down it to wear it out!) would the S400 MPR FT barrel fit? Again the balance would be moved toward the muzzle. I don't know why, but I find the MPR FT very attractive, it's a pity it was discontinued - possibly to move prospective customers onto the more expensive 500 versions.

Looking at current and obsolete models suggests that the majority of modules can and have been interchanged over the years.

Rob.
Rob , if you need an exploded diagram or several i can email you them . there are quite a few on here already in the technical section , i'll add more as and when i can :-).

no avatar
rob2hook

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Thank you so much for the offer, although I don't have any immediate need. I guess I'm a bit of a daydreamer and often think "I wonder whether that would fit...?" Quite often any differences are not obvious from the scant detail of an item description, but if it were shown as mating with a common part then I guess that answers the question.

Details which are not available would include thing the diameter of a S510 barrel. I only wonder because everyone says the 400 series cannot be shrouded as there isn't enough space between barrel and air cylinder - so the actual barrel on a 510 must be pretty skinny! Perhaps this is why aftermarket shroud manufacturers refer to the shroud as "less than optimum", i.e. not enough gap to promote airflow down it. Anyway, enough musings...

I just thought that a archive with as many of the user handbooks as possible would be a useful facility and you wouldn't be bothered by so many people with their pipedreams.

Rob.

bgaltd

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm

i would rather people bother me with questions than order parts that aren't suitable for their gun :D .

shrouding the 400 series is difficult because the breech is different to the 500 series, the hole for the barrel is slightly higher on the 500 series leaving more of a gap for the shroud .