Shroud

no avatar
long jon

Shroud

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:56 pm

I can't find the posting but one of newer? members was asking what the shroud on the barrel end does. The guy on the youtube link below explains fairly well what a shroud and what a moderator does and which he uses for his AA rifle. I guess you more established guys will not waste your time but again I learned something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ArSOL-_W4

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Shroud

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm

I may have this wrong (so please correct me if that's the case) but isn't the shroud on the S510 redundant with the qtec silencer fitted? My US has a Qtec apparently with no vents back into the shroud. I thought I'd seen export versions with a plenum/stripper fitted which fed air back down the shroud. So was this how it was originally designed?

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 pm

The shroud on the ultimate sporter is just for looking at ( if you like that kind of thing ) what they should have done, was to put a proper barrel on it like the discontinued MPR FT they obviously had the space, but chose to fit the shroud instead, shame in my opinion. Rog

no avatar
tonyc

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 pm
The shroud on the ultimate sporter is just for looking at....
Rog, I'm sure I've seen a video where an insert is removed to fit a silencer. I thought the shroud was functional for markets where silencers are not permitted. It has the vent holes which would not be necessary if just for show. Maybe I'm imagining it, or perhaps it was a different gun. :?

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Basically the sidelever made it possible to fit a shroud, and yes, I was also under the impression that this was for countries that don't like add on moderators. The S510 has baffles inside the shroud, but I never found them to be all that effective, and you could unscrew the endcap and add a proper moderator, which made the whole thing rather long, personally I thought it was all a rather wasted exercise, but I did buy one in each calibre, so what do I know? :lol: Rog

no avatar
long jon

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:48 am

As the little boy in Dicken's says "I don't know nuffink" but isn't it a shroud or a moderator, ie you don't fit both.

And I believe in the US where moderators/silencers are illegal, there are no screw ends on barrels - shrouds would need to be sleeved over the end.
long jon

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 am

long jon wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:56 pm
I can't find the posting but one of newer? members was asking what the shroud on the barrel end does. The guy on the youtube link below explains fairly well what a shroud and what a moderator does and which he uses for his AA rifle. I guess you more established guys will not waste your time but again I learned something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ArSOL-_W4
Jon, it's a nice video but what he calls a "shroud type" at 4 mins 20 is not what I would call a shroud, which IMO is simply a jacket all along the barrel which may or may not be longer than the barrel. If it is longer then it can contain a plenum device to make it effectively a moderator, though without vents or muffling devices it is only as effective as that small moderator he shows first.
You can shroud a barrel with carbon fibre tube or other material and have a built-in moderator, or an external moderator or a stripper, or nothing at all. They are not mutually exclusive.
Me, I got mine from Turin.

no avatar
long jon

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Thank you Peter, you are right. It just shows you that you cannot trust all you are told on the Internet. That's why we have this forum - guys who know what they are talking about and that people like me can trust.

I will be a little more suspect in future and will take a deep breath before rushing to post replies.
Rgds
long jon

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 pm

I better confess then the Turin bit was a lie :lol:

no avatar
rob2hook

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:52 pm

I was reflecting on the question and remembered a Youtube video about silencers/moderators and their effects on performance. At the outset, the guy went into the various things people attach to the muzzle and these include air strippers and moderators. He gave an example of the Hugget range of mods whose first chamber is empty, but vents out to act as a stripper, which the presenter suggested improves accuracy as it reduces the turbulent air around the pellet on leaving the muzzle. Presumably the shrouds used on AA guns (principally the S510) are in effect more stripper than baffled moderator and with a mod added to them then have the benefit of both the shroud's stripping effect and the mods silencing effect.

Rob.