Ultimate Sporter Silencer

no avatar
deadeyeddick

Ultimate Sporter Silencer

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Does the silencer on this gun unscrew. Is it the same as the Q-tec one which you can buy and fit to the S510.

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Ultimate Sporter Silencer

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm

No, it slides onto end of barrel and uses a grub screw to hold it on, in other words it doesn't screw into the shroud. Rog

no avatar
The Burpster

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Or better still, take it off and use a Rowan carbon sleeve and 1/2” adapter and then use an A&M Twink, which as a total is lighter, shorter and quieter. ;)

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 pm

The Burpster wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm
Or better still, take it off and use a Rowan carbon sleeve and 1/2” adapter and then use an A&M Twink, which as a total is lighter, shorter and quieter. ;)
Bob, I'd be interested to know the measurements. I would have thought the combined length of the adapter and Twink is no shorter than the Qtec, and the difference in dB hardly likely to make any practical difference.

no avatar
The Burpster

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm

It is only 15mm shorter once the Twink is on, however when it’s off it fits much better in the cabinet. Sound wise is probably subjective, but having been used to HW moderators I haven’t been super wowed by the Q-tec although it did a good job. With the Twink there appears to be only a neglible report and the valve/hammer seems to make more noise than the pellet leaving.

The shroud was mostly done to reduce the OAL of the rifle (as my 2 cabs are pretty full) when stored and it does that admirably. It also allowed me the option of trying various mods as well as no mod, and then a very quick and easy swap to a Rowan airstripper.

no avatar
tonyc

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 pm

My Qtec is about the same as my HW silencer... they do sound different but I'd need a dB meter to tell which is quietest. Part of the difference is the sound of the action. And, from a practical standpoint, I've had as many rabbits and pigeons spooked by cocking the guns as I have from the sound of the shot.

Also I'm cleaning aluminium dust off my HW barrel threads where they are wearing away the threads on the silencer (potentially causing silencer misalignment, a common HW problem) but I think the Rowan adaptors are alloy so this shouldn't be a problem.