Power troubles

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Power troubles

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am

Ah yes the s410 gauge is on the regulated side of the gun! (Mine is on the cylinder)
So you have 100 bar into the firing valve and 2 ft lbs out the breech with no recent work done to the striking mechanism.

F+×k knows whats wrong!

But I think the firing valve, pot and hammer all need a strip and inspection.

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:12 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am
Ah yes the s410 gauge is on the regulated side of the gun! (Mine is on the cylinder)
So you have 100 bar into the firing valve and 2 ft lbs out the breech with no recent work done to the striking mechanism.

F+×k knows whats wrong!

But I think the firing valve, pot and hammer all need a strip and inspection.
As Peter says, firing valve setting, have you been on to Airmaster 88, he might be able to give you standoff measurement, I only know Altaros setting which is about 7.9 mm and you can work around that to get it where you want it to be. As I said 57mm is for unreg'd guns. Rog

no avatar
tonyc

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:54 pm

I don't have knowledge of this particular reg but, generally with a reg, the remaining part of the "pot" has no function in limiting air apart from adjusting the valve spring. The factors likely to affect the power, other than a coincidental problem with something you haven't touched, are reg pressure (seems okay), reg chamber volume (not sure how this is adjusted on this reg) and valve spring. I wouldn't have thought you could compress the spring so much that you would reduce the power to 2 ft lbs but I may be wrong. Have you checked to make sure the spring hasn't been damaged or contaminated with anything that is causing it to bind, or something got through to partially block the transfer port?

no avatar
dyer

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions .
I think I am at the point of taking it to someone who knows what they are doing as there seem to be many things that it could be .
the problem is the gun has been packed away for 3ish years and i dont know when it first leaked or how long it has been empty or what problems could have happened in that time .
I think maybe a call to Julian may be in order.
Thanks again
Duncan

Blackbaronfish

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:36 pm

I would make sure the hammer rail is clean and the hammer runs smooth before doing anything else

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Pauly5

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Here's a thought. If you in fact increased the reg pressure, it would mean more pressure on the valve, so harder to open, which could effect less power at the muzzle. I might be totally wrong, but try reducing reg pressure.

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Pauly5 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 pm
Here's a thought. If you in fact increased the reg pressure, it would mean more pressure on the valve, so harder to open, which could effect less power at the muzzle. I might be totally wrong, but try reducing reg pressure.
I can see where your coming from, but as an unreg'd rifle manages to open the valve with up to 190psi behind it, ?

no avatar
Pauly5

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:26 am

Fair call. I was thinking about one of Robert lanes videos about what to adjust and thought it might help as I thought he mentions something like this.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:07 pm

I would be tempted to get new parts from Julian and put it back to standard if you are still intent on selling. Firing valve, spring and pot, power screw and lock screw, hammer/ spring and rail and cylinder tube plus all seals . It will perform almost as well as a regged 410 and a sight better than now.
Flog the old tube and reg on the bay.

no avatar
dyer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Good evening People,
I thought before I threw the towel in on fixing my gun I would polish the the hammer rail as advised by Blackbaronfish.
the rail was very dirty but the thing I discovered is what I would imagine is the source of my problems.
The valve the hammer strikes is not sprung loaded (I havent taken it out yet ) it just stays in .
Now the video of a stripdown I watched the chap was showing it working and his was popping in and out with a good solid click .
Do you think this is the cause ? to me it seems logical but i think i have proved my thinking doesnt always work !
cheers
Duncan