Power troubles

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Power troubles

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 pm

dyer wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm
Good evening People,
I thought before I threw the towel in on fixing my gun I would polish the the hammer rail as advised by Blackbaronfish.
the rail was very dirty but the thing I discovered is what I would imagine is the source of my problems.
The valve the hammer strikes is not sprung loaded (I havent taken it out yet ) it just stays in .
Now the video of a stripdown I watched the chap was showing it working and his was popping in and out with a good solid click .
Do you think this is the cause ? to me it seems logical but i think i have proved my thinking doesnt always work !
cheers
Duncan
Not sure what you mean by stays in, with no air in cylinder you should be able to push the firing valve in against spring pressure, and it should bounce back again, if it doesn't move you will have to back out the firing valve holder. Rog

no avatar
dyer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 pm

What I was trying to say was there is no spring pressure ,if you push the pin in it stays in and the only way to get it to poke out is to hold the cylinder up and give it a tap
Duncan

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:30 pm

is that because all that remains of the pot is just the short threaded base part? I know Lane reg fitting omits the spring and removes the body of the pot. It also adjusts power by screwing the short pot base in and out.
https://youtu.be/bRNicqIzpSI

no avatar
dyer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Ah i see what you mean . yes the pot is short so there are no internals . Does this part usually keep the spring pressure on the valve on the striker valve
Cheers
Duncan
I see from that video that screwing out the pot will change the power

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:56 pm

dyer wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 pm
Ah i see what you mean . yes the pot is short so there are no internals . Does this part usually keep the spring pressure on the valve on the striker valve
Cheers
Duncan
I see from that video that screwing out the pot will change the power
Yes like Rog said it normally doubles as a measuring pot and a spring retainer.
But surely that adjustment needs the valve spring to be between the valve and the retainer??
And it should be locked with a grub screw.

no avatar
dyer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:25 pm

i have just put gun back together after polishing hammer rail and winding the pot out (it was not secured)
and I have gained 1.1ftlbs
Duncan

no avatar
dyer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:27 pm

I think its time for me to admit to being outsmarted and seek professional help
Duncan

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:20 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:30 pm
is that because all that remains of the pot is just the short threaded base part? I know' Lane reg fitting omits the spring and removes the body of the pot. It also adjusts power by screwing the short pot base in and out.
https://youtu.be/bRNicqIzpSI
That short threaded base part is still used to hold the spring, so the spring should still be in there, and yes screwing in or out adjusts the power, hard to believe the spring isn't there :?: Rog

no avatar
Pauly5

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Yes hard to imagine that valve spring not being there. I would imagine you're wasting a lot of air. Is your transfer port clear? Is there a spacer between the reg and brass pot?

no avatar
dyer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:45 am

The reg butts up against the end of the brass pot,which has a hole in the side. I will take it out tonight and check spring and l will try and sort out a picture
Duncan