Power troubles

no avatar
dyer

Re: Power troubles

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Right then I have just checked the transfer port is clear ,the firing valve is 65.87mm long and doesnt seem to be worn although it is flat on the end but I presume this is correct .
there is 3.86mm protruding for the hammer to hit .
I am not sure about the fag paper test how do i do this please ?
Duncan

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 pm

cock and load the rifle. Place a Rizzla paper over the area of the breech and fire into a safe target. If there's a leak the paper will get blown off.
Folk used to use talc but it gets into the works badly.

no avatar
dyer

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Makes sense
cheers

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:08 pm

dyer wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm
Right then I have just checked the transfer port is clear ,the firing valve is 65.87mm long and doesnt seem to be worn although it is flat on the end but I presume this is correct .
there is 3.86mm protruding for the hammer to hit .
I am not sure about the fag paper test how do i do this please ?
Duncan
Just measured a brand new one 65.1 little bit longer, noticed your one is the old white one, haven't got one in bits at the moment to measure how much protrudes. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 am

I don't remember any mention of the exhaust/venturi screw which could be screwed in too far. I believe that this should be the main power adjustment for all S4/5 rifles? Again it should be locked off with a piggy back grub screw??

no avatar
Roger5

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 am
I don't remember any mention of the exhaust/venturi screw which could be screwed in too far. I believe that this should be the main power adjustment for all S4/5 rifles? Again it should be locked off with a piggy back grub screw??
That's a point, the Venturi screws on these have a habit of screwing themselves in and reducing the power, unfortunately they are not locked off, which is why it can happen, I have heard that some people do lock them off with another grub screw, I tend to back them right out so they don't effect the airflow, and adjust at the pot. Rog

no avatar
dyer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Will look at that tonight
Duncan
Have just checked venturi screw, that is fine.
When I first took the hammer out I noticed that there are a couple of thin washers on the back of it , what I am going to do (partly as an experiment to satisfy my curiousity) is get a couple more made at work and try different combinations to see the effect this has .
When that is done and presuming nothing changes the towel will be thrown in and I shall getting someone who knows what they,re doing to have a look.

Thanks again for all your help and interest
Duncan