Ultimate Sporter

no avatar
Pauly5

Re: Ultimate Sporter

Sun May 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Sorry to bomb your thread, but didn't want to start another s510 reg thread.

I have an FAC. 177 carbine. I will put a reg in it soon, and plan to keep it around 11 - 12 ft/pd. Does anyone know if the transfer port is big enough as it is, and is there a benefit in either lightening the hammer spring or stiffening the valve spring? I would imagine a slight increase in shot count. Any ideas on ordering springs to swap around instead of cutting originals?

Thanks in advance.
Paul.

no avatar
tonyc

Sun May 27, 2018 9:45 pm

It depends on what reg you go for. Altaros website has facility to enquire about regs for specific power requirements so you might get some help there.

I don't have FAC reg experience but happy to give my thoughts if you have difficulty finding someone who has regged and dropped .177 FAC to 12 ft lbs. All I'd say at this stage is, theoretically, you'll have enough transfer port capacity.

If you're prepared to wait, Air Arms have been talking about the possibility of a kit to retro-fit the old model US now that the latest model is regged, The new reg can't be fitted to the old guns as there have been other design changes.

no avatar
Pauly5

Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 am

Thanks Tony. I had contacted Altaros, but they said they haven't done any work on the springs to be able to advise me, but felt the shot count would probably increase somewhat if I did. I would go for a Lane reg, but still tossing up if I will drill the tube or not. Am I right in thinking that whatever reg I go for, if set at the same pressure will peform the same?

no avatar
tonyc

Tue May 29, 2018 12:16 am

The volume of the reg chamber will have some influence .
I don't know if the springs in FAC and 12 ft lb guns are the same but you could ask AA and, if different, this would give you an alternative setup.
Altaros supply regs for 12ft lb output from FAC guns and their instructions include a measurement to set the valve spring preload so I'm surprised they can't advise on this aspect.

no avatar
Roger5

Tue May 29, 2018 7:01 am

tonyc wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:16 am
The volume of the reg chamber will have some influence .
I don't know if the springs in FAC and 12 ft lb guns are the same but you could ask AA and, if different, this would give you an alternative setup.
Altaros supply regs for 12ft lb output from FAC guns and their instructions include a measurement to set the valve spring preload so I'm surprised they can't advise on this aspect.
Just to say 12ftlb and FAC hammer springs are different, and also Mr Lane does FAC antibounce if required. Rog

no avatar
Pauly5

Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am

Something I didn't realise is that the 12 ft/pd brass valve pot is screwed in or threaded, where the FAC version is a set distance as it is held in by a grub screw, so adjusting the valve spring tension isn't as simple as I thought.
On re reading the reply from Altaros, it's more that they would want to leave it me to tune my gun as opposed to them telling me exactly what's required, so that's fair enough, as it looks like it's fiddly enough anyway.

I might look at putting a spacer in behind the spring if required.

no avatar
tonyc

Tue May 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Roger5 wrote:
Just to say 12ftlb and FAC hammer springs are different, and also Mr Lane does FAC antibounce if required. Rog
Rog, is the 12 ft lb spring weaker? If so, i'd be inclined to try one.

no avatar
Roger5

Tue May 29, 2018 1:14 pm

tonyc wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:30 pm
Roger5 wrote:
Rog, is the 12 ft lb spring weaker? If so, i'd be inclined to try one.
The firing valve springs are both S306, Hammer springs S331 &S331H and Firing valve is S370 & S370H this is off John Rothery website. Rog