New member requests advice S410

no avatar
tommymcg

New member requests advice S410

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi I would like to introduce myself, my name is Tommy reside in the Dundee area Scotland. I have some wooded area for permission and hunt wood pigeons and corvids. Really enjoy the challenge against the pest species and also do my bit for the local agriculture.

I have owned an S410 for a few years and tried all types of pellets for consistency of shots. The closest I have came to the rifle being accurate is around the 120bar on the gauge. Tried setting up targets at various ranges to allow for holdover, zeroed the rifle for 18m (most of the shooting in the garden for pigeons at the bird feeder) and still does not work for me.

Is it time for the rifle to be fitted with a regulator? Read about Huma-air, anyone opinions? Ben Taylor, Robert Lane etc?

Thanks

Tommy

no avatar
Roger5

Re: New member requests advice S410

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi Tommy welcome to the club, is it a .22 or .177 normally the S 400/410s like a fill pressure of about 165 bar, if it's a .22 I zero at 25yds and .177 at 30yds this pretty much gets rid of the holdunder stuff, I have fitted a few regs to the S400 series, it would be wrong of me to say that it's really worth doing, most of the ones I have fitted have been for competition guns, and that's where they come into there own, but for general shooting pest control and such I don't think I'd bother, you would be better off just stripping it and giving the hammer rail a good clean, also give the barrel a pull through, what pellets are you using, AADF 5.52 or 4.52 depending on what caliber you have is a good start. Hope that helps. Rog

no avatar
tommymcg

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 am

Hi Rog Thanks for the reply. The rifle is .22 calibre and I use RWS superdome field pellets. When the rifle is down to 120bar it is consistent but the shot count does not last. I am considering fitting a regulator, what type have you fitted to rifles?

Tommy

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:48 am

The ones I have fitted are either Rob Lanes or Altaros, to be honest I don't think there is much to choose between any of them really, but with the Altaros you don't have to drill the cylinder, so easy to put back to standard if you have problems with it, is the antitamper still in place? .Rog

no avatar
tommymcg

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Rog I have had a look at the Altaros regulator and it seems very straightforward to install. Do I require an additional filling probe or will the AA one still work? I would imagine the anti-tamper is still installed as I have not taken the rifle apart, does installing a regulator require the anti-tamper to be removed? Tommy

Blackbaronfish

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 am

Rws super dome are not consistent in the first place unless your range is bellow 25 yards

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
davyt63

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Tommy
There is no need for a regulator in the 410,unless you are going to shoot competition.
I have own one for several years,and have had very good results with AAfield 4.52.

You will need to do a chronograph shot string of around a 100 shots,to see where your sweet spot is at,generally it’s between 170/110 bar ,it will vary by about 10/15 bar from different rifles.

Also don’t get to hung up on chronograph readings,if you take five of the top brand pellets,and two are 4fps spread over ten shots,it don’t mean they will be accurate out to all hunting ranges,you will find the pellets that have a double figures FPS spread will be more accurate. I know what your thinking “that’s not possible “ but trust me I have tested loads over a Skan chronograph and that’s my findings.

Regarding fitting a regulator I am not familiar with Robert lane or altos ,but I am familiar with the Huma reg.
To fit to and 400 series you will have to drill a breather hole in the cylinder,and also to remove the anti tamper to.
I have fitted the Huma to some BSA’s and they are very easy to do.i shall be fitting one to my AA510 soon XTX Air has an fitting instruction for these if you decide to go down the Huma reg route.

Regards

Davy Thomas
did i mention,i have done one less meet then Ray, lol.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:37 pm

The tricky bit is drilling a breather hole with no rough edges inside. And also hope you dont have one of the cylinders with internal draw lines.

no avatar
Outandabout

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Tommy
Welcome to the forum
I have shot an S410 in .22 for years now. I fill it to about 175 and never let the pressure drop below 100. The sweet spot is between 160 down to about 115. After a lot of trial and error I use AA field 5.51. For some reason AA 5.52 lose the accuracy over about 20 yards in my gun. It is so long since I did a shot count that I can't remember how many shots I get to a charge, it is quite a lot.
Every gun is different but I would try AA field 5.51 or AA field 5.52. And I would try re-zeroing the rifle to 25 yards with a fill charge to about 170 then do another shot string, you might get a pleasant surprise. When filled to 170 it takes mine a couple of shots settle in but that is not a problem
hope you get it sorted
Kevin.

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:55 pm

tommymcg wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:50 am
Hi Rog I have had a look at the Altaros regulator and it seems very straightforward to install. Do I require an additional filling probe or will the AA one still work? I would imagine the anti-tamper is still installed as I have not taken the rifle apart, does installing a regulator require the anti-tamper to be removed? Tommy
Yes Tommy the antitamper has to be removed, you can do it yourself if you have access to a pillar drill, and no you won't need another probe. Rog