New member requests advice S410

no avatar
Archer50

Re: New member requests advice S410

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Tommy

Fitting an Altaros or Huma reg to any S series AA is very easy once you've got the anti tamper out (that's easy enough in theory, but can be a pig in practice). The question is whether it is worth doing, particularly for a .22. Set up properly, a reg will increase the shot count but it won't make any difference to accuracy or consistency so long as you stay in the sweet spot. Personally I'd start with a thorough de-grease, clean and polish and perhaps some new seals. I live in Perth and my club is Tayside, which is just up the road from you in Auchterhouse. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any help.

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Hi Tommy

Fitting an Altaros or Huma reg to any S series AA is very easy once you've got the anti tamper out (that's easy enough in theory, but can be a pig in practice). The question is whether it is worth doing, particularly for a .22. Set up properly, a reg will increase the shot count but it won't make any difference to accuracy or consistency so long as you stay in the sweet spot. Personally I'd start with a thorough de-grease, clean and polish and perhaps some new seals. I live in Perth and my club is Tayside, which is just up the road from you in Auchterhouse. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any help.

Alan
Hi Alan, was hoping you would turn up at some time, was going to mention you to Tommy. Rog

no avatar
bruno22rf

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi - I use S410's in both calibres for pest control work on a 5k Acre site in Milton Keynes and have never felt the need for a Reg to be fitted - I charge both guns to 170 then fire 5 shots to bring the guns to zero - this then holds for around 50 shots then I refill at 100 bar ish. Used S410's for more years than I care to remember and consistency has never been in doubt.

no avatar
tommymcg

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am

Archer50 wrote:
Hi Tommy

Alan
Hi Alan

I very much appreciate your offer of advice, it is a small world I am a member of Auchterhouse for clay shooting. Could we meet sometime? Regards Tommy

no avatar
tommymcg

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Davy
Thanks for the informative reply. Point taken with the regulator as a few of the other guys have pointed out it is down to my pellet selection, the RWS are unstable I did not imagine it could be down to a selection of ammo!!! Will try out the AA field as you suggested and hopefully this will prove to be successful. Regards Tommy
davyt63 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Hi Tommy
There is no need for a regulator in the 410,unless you are going to shoot competition.
I have own one for several years,and have had very good results with AAfield 4.52.

You will need to do a chronograph shot string of around a 100 shots,to see where your sweet spot is at,generally it’s between 170/110 bar ,it will vary by about 10/15 bar from different rifles.

Also don’t get to hung up on chronograph readings,if you take five of the top brand pellets,and two are 4fps spread over ten shots,it don’t mean they will be accurate out to all hunting ranges,you will find the pellets that have a double figures FPS spread will be more accurate. I know what your thinking “that’s not possible “ but trust me I have tested loads over a Skan chronograph and that’s my findings.

Regarding fitting a regulator I am not familiar with Robert lane or altos ,but I am familiar with the Huma reg.
To fit to and 400 series you will have to drill a breather hole in the cylinder,and also to remove the anti tamper to.
I have fitted the Huma to some BSA’s and they are very easy to do.i shall be fitting one to my AA510 soon XTX Air has an fitting instruction for these if you decide to go down the Huma reg route.

Regards

Davy Thomas

no avatar
Archer50

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

tommymcg wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am

I very much appreciate your offer of advice, it is a small world I am a member of Auchterhouse for clay shooting. Could we meet sometime? Regards Tommy
Hi Tommy

I've PM'ed you my mobile number.

Alan

no avatar
143granville

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 pm

give the hammer rail good polish is what I do first then try it again .
my .22 was great with AA field 5.52 .
hope you get it sorted .