Regulator

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Regulator

Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I cant see any replies since my last post but I know people are posting because I can see them as I type this. Same problem as before . As soon as I hit Submit I cant see thrm.
(just in case anyone can see this!)

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 pm

House Sparrow
(Passer Domesticus)
A particular pest to the food industry because of the risk of contamination from their droppings and the damage done to packaged goods.
House sparrows are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. However, general licences issued under the Act are still in place in Wales and Scotland, and under the Wildlife Order in Northern Ireland. These allow an authorised person to control house sparrows to prevent serious damage to agriculture or preserve public health and safety
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Archer50

Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Pauly5 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am
I've just ordered an S510 FAC carbine .177. Plan to use it for pest control, pigeons, sparrows in supermarkets. It's my job. I plan on getting it regulated purely for the consistent shot. Have an HFT500 which I got off a guy only recently and it's very accurate. so the S510 will give me the 10 shot mag for faster loading. I will turn it down to around 12 ft/lb or less, but am also interested to know if the gun will need much setting up other than installing the reg? The Altaros one appeals to me.
I don't know about FAC, but I have fitted three Altaros regs in .177 sub-12's now and have had no problem whatever with them. They do exactly what they should and deliver 100 bar (or whatever you set them to) every shot. With 2 carbines and a Classic I have found that if you just put them in as per instructions, you won't get much improvement on shot count, although you will lose the power curve. By shortening the hammer spring by one coil, opening the venturi fully and experimenting with the firing valve pressure (ie screwing the threaded collar that replaces to pot in and out) I was easily able to get 70-80 regulated shots from the carbines and 100 from the Classic.

The advantage of the Altaros is that you don't need to drill a breather hole in your air cylinder and none of the three I have fitted needed any cylinder polishing/honing. In fact, I have yet to be convinced that the breather hole recommended by Huma, Lane etc does anything whatever in practice (and very little even in theory) and if I would try first without the hole whatever reg I was fitting.

Fitting regs is interesting but I don't know if I'd bother unless the shot count was a problem. If you use shooting accurate, consistent groups as your measure, rather than getting anal over fps (like me :D ) a properly set up and maintained AA S400/500 gun is as good without a regulator as with one, and less to go wrong.

Alan

no avatar
Bezzer

Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Archer50 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm
I don't know about FAC, but I have fitted three Altaros regs in .177 sub-12's now and have had no problem whatever with them. They do exactly what they should and deliver 100 bar (or whatever you set them to) every shot. With 2 carbines and a Classic I have found that if you just put them in as per instructions, you won't get much improvement on shot count, although you will lose the power curve. By shortening the hammer spring by one coil, opening the venturi fully and experimenting with the firing valve pressure (ie screwing the threaded collar that replaces to pot in and out) I was easily able to get 70-80 regulated shots from the carbines and 100 from the Classic.
Do more work on the gun and you get way more shots. Fitted a Lane reg to my .177 400 Carbine. Originally got 70 odd then after doing a bit more got 98 and finally I'm now at 114 shots @ 775fps /11.3fpe. That's with shorter stronger spring with a slightly thicker guide to fine tune it, a 2mm longer headed but lighter hammer, firing valve thread around 13mm out, 3.2mm transfer port and the power adjuster completely removed and sealed. Power can therefore only go down not up.....apart from any temperature rise that is. If you look at Rob Lanes videos on YouTube you'll find one on why you should have a breather hole with his regs and the problems you get without one.

no avatar
Pauly5

Sat May 19, 2018 9:08 am

That's interesting. So whatever reg you put in, if you do nothing, you loose the power curve. For me the curve does my head in, and never remember how many shots I have fired. So a sudden change when it drops off the reg is fine by me.
I've fitted a lane reg into a cyclone before and that came with a spacer for the valve spring and understand how the balance of hammer spring tension and valve spring tension works, but don't really have the time to experiment or the tools to turn up pieces. So, if anyone has info like spring tension tuning for idiots with half a brain I'd appreciate it.

I did take the s510 out on it's maiden voyage the other night and got 16 sparrows out of the supermarket. I'm in NZ and there's no law against shooting them. What did surprise me though was that as the pressure went down to around 100 bar, and power on lowest setting, the power was 5.5 ft/pd, which was lower than I thought it would get.
Anyway it's all part of me getting to know the gun.