AA Galahad magazine indexing problem

no avatar
garybab

AA Galahad magazine indexing problem

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 pm

I bought my Galahad in 2016 . It is always had a problem with the magazine not indexing the pellet to the breach properly.
I sent it back to the seller of the rifle. they are a certified repair depot for air arms.
They sandpapered the inside of the magazines, removed the O-rings, and bent the spring on the magazine indexing post.
They also sent me another indexing post and spring assembly, and wished me the best of luck.
They did Not fix the problem. In fact, after the “repair” the rifle would eject the magazine when cocking the rifle from time to time.
I decided to take Matters into my own hands and now it is reliable, it Always indexes properly, and never spits the mag out anymore.
Bottom line:
The slot milled in the link between the bolt and the mag indexing post assembly is incorrect.
I noted that when the rifle is fully cocked, and the bolt is held open so a mag can be replaced, the post can still go up another .5 to .75mm.
I brazed onto the end of the slot, and then filed by hand to perfectly fit, and lift the post assembly completely.
The rifle now indexes perfectly, always aligning the pellet perfectly with the breech, and Never spits the mag out anymore.
Tomorrow I will order a new link. When I get it, I will weld the slot with steel and then complete the “blueprinting” of the link at my work with a mill.
Unless of course Air arms is corrected the poor machining geometric dimensioning, and tollerancing.
Now I do not have to bannana dance around bending the post spring, or play that silliness with the magazine. Because they were Not the problem. Those “fixes” were trying to aluveate the manifestation of the root cause of the poorly machined link.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: AA Galahad magazine indexing problem

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 pm

I would suggest writing formally to Air Arms although I have never received acknowledgement for my imrovement suggestions, which is a pity.

no avatar
garybab

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Thank you for the response. I did do the contact us thing with air arms directly. I also asked if i could order a new link. They said they cannot sell directly to me and also told me that they contacted the retailer that sold me the rifle along with the repair depot. I think that is because the repair point was replacing The indexing post and bending the spring to TRY to fix the symptoms of the root cause. I did order a new link from the retailer that is in Ohio in the United States. And they told me it would take a couple months since it would be ordered directly from the company in the U K. I told both the company and the retailer I would be happy to wait because my rifle I purchased in late 2016 was probably early manufacture of the model and as we all know as production goes on they often will improve and perfect things. And I am hoping the link I get will have been improved, as I am quite sure from the way the retailer and repair depot, and the company acted it is a common problem.
I kind of think a company will never acknowledge its manufacturing short comings because of the liability factor.
But since they DID respond. That is actually an acknowledgment in itself.
Again, ten meter, thank you for your input
P.S. so it has been about a week now since I improved the link, and I’ve shot the rifle about Mire than 100 but less than 200 times, with no failures!! It is a joy to shoot when it functions correctly!
I am so pleased!!
I am shooting JSB extra heavy diablo pellets in .25 caliber.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm

I guess most manufacturers only supply wholesale or they need a retail team and VAT (UK sales tax) accountants etc.
In UK its impossible to buy a lot of stuff by mail. I bought a trigger blade for FWB pistol from the importer legally by mail as it was plastic but the metal cylinder had to be picked up from a registered dealer as did my MPR. Pre-owned stuff you can mail to your granny with no problem. Madness.

no avatar
smiffy

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Dear fellow owners,

I bought a new .22 Galahad on Dec 23rd, and right from day one, the magazine "sometimes" would not correctly index to the next chamber. This became quite frustrating whilst trying to zero my gun for the first time on conventional sights. Eventually I got the gun set up, producing 13mm groups at 30 yrds, so very pleased with that. Next day at 06:30, I went into work, to take advantage of the dark large space, to set up my Yukon night sight. Once again, the magazine began to miss slots, and fail to turn a full chamber round, frustrating to say the least, and not what I would like, whilst shooting in the dark, to be unsure if the gun was in fact ready to fire?
Then after about the third mag full of practice shooting, the gun stopped firing completely, and developed a very metallic rattle at the rear of the gun. I knew that at the time, the gun was in fact loaded, and now in a very unsafe condition. After many pulls on the trigger, the gun finally fired, and then was safe to transport back to the dealership where it was bought some 7 days earlier.
It's now been back at the factory for over 3 weeks now, and I've still yet to have any of the following;

1. Confirmation that they have received my gun at the factory !
2. The dealership, also have not had any contact from the factory, despite phoning?
3. Any updates on the current state of my rifle.

Has anyone out there, had anything similar happen to theirs at all?

Please any thoughts or ideas would really be appreciated.

Cheers,
Smiffy

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:13 am

I hope you paid with a credit card. You are into consumer law territory. Tell the dealer you want a refund or immediate replacement, and if not successful get the credit card bank to get a refund for you.
Your contract is with the dealer and since the law changed you should not have this problem.
Final stage is threaten small claims court .

bgaltd

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 am

smiffy wrote:Dear fellow owners,

I bought a new .22 Galahad on Dec 23rd, and right from day one, the magazine "sometimes" would not correctly index to the next chamber. This became quite frustrating whilst trying to zero my gun for the first time on conventional sights. Eventually I got the gun set up, producing 13mm groups at 30 yrds, so very pleased with that. Next day at 06:30, I went into work, to take advantage of the dark large space, to set up my Yukon night sight. Once again, the magazine began to miss slots, and fail to turn a full chamber round, frustrating to say the least, and not what I would like, whilst shooting in the dark, to be unsure if the gun was in fact ready to fire?
Then after about the third mag full of practice shooting, the gun stopped firing completely, and developed a very metallic rattle at the rear of the gun. I knew that at the time, the gun was in fact loaded, and now in a very unsafe condition. After many pulls on the trigger, the gun finally fired, and then was safe to transport back to the dealership where it was bought some 7 days earlier.
It's now been back at the factory for over 3 weeks now, and I've still yet to have any of the following;

1. Confirmation that they have received my gun at the factory !
2. The dealership, also have not had any contact from the factory, despite phoning?
3. Any updates on the current state of my rifle.

Has anyone out there, had anything similar happen to theirs at all?

Please any thoughts or ideas would really be appreciated.

Cheers,
Smiffy

Smiffy,

i'm sorry you've had a problem with your rifle and thank you for joining the forum to let us know .

just a few questions though , just to get some perspective.

what date did you take it back to the shop for it to be returned ?

what date did the shop send it back to AA ? it wont be the first time a shop has said they sent it last week when its still sat out the back waiting to packed for return :-( .

have you given AA a ring for an update as i'm sure they would just return the gun to the shop once repaired (i think they are more likely to ring the shop and not you as it's them they are dealing with ) , then the shop would ring you to collect .

just to make you and everyone else aware , AA spend the first 2 weeks of January doing a stock take and the shot show take up the third week .

i'm not making excuses just trying help you understand that there may be a delay.

i hope you get your rifle back soon and it's everything you're expecting and more .

rgds

Julian.

no avatar
smiffy

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Julian

Many thanks for your reply . I took the gun back on the 6th, and was told about the stock take etc, but surely the stock take is not done by the warranty dept?
I’ve emailed AA, following the automated reply for the warranty registration. I’ve also written a letter too, which also included my golden ticket entry.
No replies to date, when I last spoke to the gun shop last Friday , they were going to chase it up.
I’ll call the shop on Wednesday and then go down the replacement option I think, if they have no further news.

I hope I’ve answered all your questions?

Smiffy

bgaltd

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm

smiffy wrote:Hi Julian

Many thanks for your reply . I took the gun back on the 6th, and was told about the stock take etc, but surely the stock take is not done by the warranty dept?
I’ve emailed AA, following the automated reply for the warranty registration. I’ve also written a letter too, which also included my golden ticket entry.
No replies to date, when I last spoke to the gun shop last Friday , they were going to chase it up.
I’ll call the shop on Wednesday and then go down the replacement option I think, if they have no further news.

I hope I’ve answered all your questions?

Smiffy

so you knew about the stock take and that there may be a delay getting your rifle back ?? i don't really mind anyone coming onto this forum and complaining about AA products if they've contacted AA with their complaint and tried to get it resolved. retailers aren't always the best at keeping customers informed or chasing things up (me included, i've a mind like a sieve :-( ), we just try our best :-) .

try ringing them , ask to speak to Sheila or Chris . if they are'n't there try again a couple of days later .

my understanding is that almost everyone is involved in the stock take so it doesn't drag on for too long (the warranty dept is the same team who build new rifles and do repairs , i'm sure they'd love a separate dept just for warranty work :-) :-) ).

give me the serial number and where you bought it from and i'll ring if you don't want to , i have a very good relationship with AA.

again , i hope your rifle is returned soon or you get your replacement.

rgds.

Julian

ps. please feel free to ring me if you wish to discuss this further i.e. if you want me to help or to just call me a wanker for standing up for AA :-) )

no avatar
smiffy

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Many thanks again Julian,

I will go to the gun shop this week and see what the latest update is then. If there still is no news forthcoming of the current condition of my rifle, I will then speak to the shop owner, and I'm sure that between us, we can get the matter resolved, by ordering another gun.
The whole point of me writing the initial request, was to ask, if anyone else had had the same problem with their Galahad? I have seen comments about the indexing fault, but have found nothing about the rattle, and trigger intermittent failure to fire fault, that my rifle developed in such a short time.