AA s400 Barrel help please

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: AA s400 Barrel help please

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:04 am

underdog wrote:Thanks Pete not what I realy want as the gig only lines up after a knock on the barrel he takes the barrel clamp off then realines the barrel to the clamp
My problem is I've taken the barrel completely off the rifle and have found no reference point to put the barrel back in to the breach like when it came from the factory
Still not all doom I have air arms telephone number they are always happy to help
Or I can do the 5 shot group while twisting the barrel and get the best group I can and this time I'll mark it with my own punch
Finally if all else fails send it back to air arms get them to service it and do a accrancy test on her thanks for the help Pete ATB Frank

You dont have to wait for a knock to align the barrel! Do it after you have aligned the transfer port and tightened the grub screws as advised by the members on here. Some barrels have a transfer port drilled and some like yours have the port in the brass sleeve.
The grouping of a sound barrel will not depend on the position of the barrel. it just needs to be firmly in place.

Blackbaronfish

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:14 am

Why would a new barrel have different point of impacts when rotated :?

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:Why would a new barrel have different point of impacts when rotated :?

BBF

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a dead straight barrel.rog

no avatar
underdog

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:10 am

Is this a open Question as I do not have a clue that's why I'm asking for help to do my rifle which I've already told you and any one else its circular 2006 I do not realy care about how the new ones work mine is OLD OLD it seems you two guys are trying to confuse me telling me there's a air port hole in my barrel to line up Rubbish.Between you two cost me 3hrs work and now one of the two tell me to just put the barrel back in any way as it makes no diffrence Begs the question why did you not tell me this at the being of my posts on this subject or is it all just quess work and turns you both on to give duff advice
Thanks for wasting my time

no avatar
underdog

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:15 am

Barrel help please
Postby Blackbaronfish » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:15 am

You must have the transport holes lined up,once done it can be tightened up.

BBF
Did I mention I am the only one to have attended every annual meet since we started
Blackbaronfish
Site Admin

You Realy need to re read your answers you gave me

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:54 am

underdog wrote:Is this a open Question as I do not have a clue that's why I'm asking for help to do my rifle which I've already told you and any one else its circular 2006 I do not realy care about how the new ones work mine is OLD OLD it seems you two guys are trying to confuse me telling me there's a air port hole in my barrel to line up Rubbish.Between you two cost me 3hrs work and now one of the two tell me to just put the barrel back in any way as it makes no diffrence Begs the question why did you not tell me this at the being of my posts on this subject or is it all just quess work and turns you both on to give duff advice
Thanks for wasting my time

The answer above is a great way too get help and advice..
In your origional post you said that you have received great advice from the members on here in the past
And they are trying too help you now but rather than just say that the advice isnt helping you much youdecide too spit your dummy out and post the above .
I may becide too lock this post....lets see how you get on then.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
underdog

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Please can i have my Dummy back it's my favourite one :oops:
Apologies to Rog and black baron
It's just frustrating that the barrel was shooting pellet on pellet at 35yds on a calm day over the SKAN it's perfect 775 + --- 6 so it can only be the barrel
Apologies if ive upset any one else.
Please don't block the thread through my rambling on
As said I phone air arms Monday explain what as happened then I can post Monday there reply in case any one else as this problem with the older S400
So hope thus reply will survise Best Regards From Frank

no avatar
Mark112

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi,

Sounds like the barrel has come out and left the brass end piece in the breech block. They are usually Loctite'd together and it's the brass bit that has to be aligned with the transfer port. The barrel itself has no particular orientation.

S410Barrel.jpg
S410Barrel.jpg (162 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

The above picture shows the barrel and the brass bit fitted together. One of the grub screws locates in the top hole and the bottom hole lines up with the transfer port to transfer the blast of air down the barrel when you fire it. The barrel seal can just be seen near the end of the brass bit and can be a b*%stard to fit. Patience is required.

Mark
S410C .177 Regged - MTC Viper 4-16 x 50
S410K .177 Regged - Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16 x 50 AO IR
S410K .22 - Hawke Sport HD 3-9 x 50 AO IR
Logun Mk1 .22 - AGS 3-9 x 40
Theoben Taunus .22 - Simmons 4-12 x 40 AO
BW1911R2
Walther CP99
Webley Premier .22

no avatar
Axelrod

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Re previous post that no barrel is straight. This is true. That is why a barrel should be rotated until the crown is at the high point. This will remove lateral error and ensure true line of sight. It is "shooting the barrel". If the barrel has the transfer port drilled you are stuck with that. dave.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Surely wherever the barrel is pointing, straight or bent, it will still group according to the quality of the crown and pellet, and the group size will not improve with reorientation?

Regarding old and new, underdog asked what happens when a new barrel is fitted and he got a good answer. He introduced the new factor.