Inside my air cylinder

no avatar
underdog

Inside my air cylinder

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 am

Hi every one just a quick one (as my wife always complains ) this is a follow on from my post "firing pot" as said in post all new parts have been sent for and full "O" ring set orderd
The inside of her air cylinder seems to be very dirty oily and may even be as speckel of rust but not sure what do I need to do to clean it all out I was thinking gunk cleaner or is there something else more better and prevent any more rust that's if it is rust hard to tell at moment what do you suggest I do beside buying a new air cylinder which I may have to do in the end
ATB Frank

no avatar
Leeleefocus

Re: Inside my air cylinder

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:44 am

The condition of my air cylinder was the same as yours. 2012 date of manufacture and only filled from a drivers cylinder.

I left mine as it was because my theory being a sticky surface on the inside of the cylinder will hold any dirt or dust and stop it from going through into the guns mechanism. Mine had the faintest hint of rust or what appeared to be rust. Nothing that would compromise the cylinder so again I left alone.

Don't take what I have done as advice because it may very well be wrong.

Hopefully an expert will answer this question. I am curious now if I did the right thing by leaving it as it was.

Blackbaronfish

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:12 am

Ben Taylor used to grease the inside of his to hold any particles that may have got in. The later filling valves stopped 99% of crap getting in 8-) 8-)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
underdog

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:03 am

Leeleefocus wrote:The condition of my air cylinder was the same as yours. 2012 date of manufacture and only filled from a drivers cylinder.

I left mine as it was because my theory being a sticky surface on the inside of the cylinder will hold any dirt or dust and stop it from going through into the guns mechanism. Mine had the faintest hint of rust or what appeared to be rust. Nothing that would compromise the cylinder so again I left alone.

Don't take what I have done as advice because it may very well be wrong.

Hopefully an expert will answer this question. I am curious now if I did the right thing by leaving it as it was.

Hi Lee thanks for wonderful post I'm not a expert ney just a Virgin novice I won't lie I'm thinking dry cleaning with a wooden dowl wrapped in a good quality white Rag probably a old vest keep rubbing the inside till its clean I'm assuming when first made the tube would have been bone dry thus let the air fill valve filter do its job
Mine is second hand so can't coment on previous owners filling method but I have my suspicions of a strip pump may have infected cylinder via mosture
Any way I'll never know thanks for your post
ATB Frank

no avatar
underdog

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:Ben Taylor used to grease the inside of his to hold any particles that may have got in. The later filling valves stopped 99% of crap getting in 8-) 8-)

BBF

Thanks for post but I think I'll leave it bone dry and as you say let fill valve fitter do its job I'll only be filling her with fresh divers air from bottle not from strip pump thanks for your post much appreciated
ATB Frank