Possible pellet wobble

no avatar
Eddi3

Possible pellet wobble

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:42 pm

So I've been to the range several times zerod scope to 30 yards was more fiddly that expected but when I moved it out to 35 I notice a sort of spiral and the pellets would hit to the left or centre I have hand a cant level on my scope so rifle isn't canted can't 100 percent say scope is perfectly horizontal, so I'm thinking maybe bit crap in the barrel so I run a cleaning pellet down then one with little bit oil on then another dry one to get rid of any excess but didn't notice much dirt if any on pellets, I have a regulator fitted so power curve is bare minimum and I use aa field pellets the rifle is a 22 tdr any ideas

no avatar
woody2906

Re: Possible pellet wobble

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:56 pm

I have not witnessed this myself but spiralling can occur near the end of travel when the energy of the spin becomes greater than the forward thrust of the pellet.
When you consider this it makes sense,

no avatar
Eddi3

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:20 pm

So you think I should run rifle through chrono as I'm presuming if it's under powered this would cause the spiral

no avatar
woody2906

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:17 pm

well I think the pellet will tend to spirall when it is near the end of its travel and I would think that would be a lot further then 35 yds. It could be affected by pellet weight also. If you have access to a chrono that would be a good idea.

darran77

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:46 pm

There are lot's of factors which would result in pellet spiral/wobble, been under powered is one of them . Also been over powered is another, not meaning your gun is over but it might just be that type of pellet is not suitable for your gun past a certain distance. Check out Teds holdover on the tube , he did a video showing un balanced pellets and their cause. Also if you can recover a fired pellet and check for damage to it's skirt you could have it clipping when leaving your gun, this would cause the pellet to be unstable which would show more as it slows down.
A .22 scorpion i owned loved biz-mags but the grouping past 25 yards was terrible, so for anything other than sub 20 yard ratting i would use supermags as they would group sub 2p way past my shooting range.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
Eddi3

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:01 am

Right cheers for the input a think a chrono session then maybe play with pellets will post result